Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experiment: Cheap chisels vs Premium Chisels

Thanks Nick! Thanks Ken!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    with chisels it is about "balance". By balance I mean a chisel that feels "good" in hand,
    [edit]
    It isn't about being the best in this or that but more about being an extension of your hand and not getting in the way of work.
    To me, how a chisel feels in my hand is as important as any other point of comparison. This is why one of my comments about purchasing tools is to try and handle it before handing over any money.

If a tool doesn't feel right in one's hands, it isn't going to feel right when it is in use. If a tool doesn't feel right, it will be a distraction every time it is used.

When one is trying to do good work with sharp tools, the last thing one needs is a distraction.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derek Cohen has, what I think to be, a well constructed comparison of different chisel steels on his website inthewoodshop.com http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...g-5Steels.html

That being said he doesn't really cover a 'cheap' option. Still, worth a read.

Thanks Rhys. Welcome to SMC!

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The Experiment Begins

I've ordered an LN 1/2" and an Ashley Iles 5/8". I'll let you know what I think. Should be fun to horse around with. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

In the meantime, cut a few more dovetails with my cheapo chisels after dinner with Mom. Up to 75 pairs now. The usually fit right off the saw and look presentable enough.

Fred

If LN offered their chisels in O1 I probably would not have looked at the Iles. My experiences with the A2 plane blades I have made me think I would not prefer that in a chisel.

Derek Cohen’s findings are interesting. I have been tempted to order a Japanese chisel and try it, but the fact that they are closer to Blue Spruce prices then anything else places them realistically out of the range of what I am going to spend on a hobby, that unfortunately I have less and less time to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks everyone. All good info.

Hi Ken, Nick,
    The Best Things and Tools for Working Wood both sell a set of 6 for about $200. What is it you like best about them? The doggone price is really hard to beat if these are truly good tools.

Fred
    You don't need to buy a complete set from either of those vendors, plus you got to tailor the chisel style to what you are going to use it for. For me, for dovetailing, I have a liking for the AI roundback chisels. Perfect for close up paring and sneaking up to a line. But these are not chisels for general bench work!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys Hurcombe View Post
    Derek Cohen has, what I think to be, a well constructed comparison of different chisel steels on his website inthewoodshop.com http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...g-5Steels.html

That being said he doesn't really cover a 'cheap' option. Still, worth a read.
    Years ago when this was published I tried to duplicate the test with my own chisels. My cast steel chisels outperformed all of the chisels in Deerk's field by a wide margin. I do think technique plays some role in test results.

Define cheap.

Prior to my "Stan" chisels, I got some beaters off E-bay. Since I can't read Japanese, I don't know the makers/steel/etc.
    However, they sharpen easily, take a great edge, and hold it well.

I'd encourage you to try getting a few

Blog Entries
    I had one Japanese chisel. I don't know what I did with it.
    I have a leather chisel roll full of Lie Nielsen chisels and I know exactly where they are.
    OBTW, sharpen easily on a diamond hone that stays our on the bench. I keep them
    scalpel sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Define cheap.
    Thanks for the tip Matt.

Cheap (for me) are the Marples and Aldi sets I mentioned in the start of the thread. But you could probably stretch the definition to be "brand chisels you pay $10 or less a piece for." YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    You don't need to buy a complete set from either of those vendors, plus you got to tailor the chisel style to what you are going to use it for. For me, for dovetailing, I have a liking for the AI roundback chisels. Perfect for close up paring and sneaking up to a line. But these are not chisels for general bench work!
    Thanks Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks for the tip Matt.

Cheap (for me) are the Marples and Aldi sets I mentioned in the start of the thread. But you could probably stretch the definition to be "brand chisels you pay $10 or less a piece for." YMMV of course.
    Fred,
    If you poke around the old ad copy floating around on "The Internet" - for a while both Aldi and Marples chisels called out nominally "the same" alloy. That has since been pulled down - probably too specific for the sourcing types out there.... While perhaps you may ultimately get a similar amount of work out of both before they won't cut - the Marples receives a much better heat treatment in my book and retains the sharp, smooth cutting edge longer during the cycle... After using both head to head - I prefer the feel of the Marples - it just cuts more smoothly.....

You wondered why I had so many 1" chisels.... Because I wanted to test them out to see how they worked in my hands.... There is something to getting them in your hands and feeling how they work in real life....

What I use all the time...
    user chisels.JPG
    YMMV, of course....

Blog Entries
    You wondered why I had so many 1" chisels.... Because I wanted to test them out to see how they worked in my hands.... There is something to getting them in your hands and feeling how they work in real life....
    +1000 on that!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)