Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experiment: Cheap chisels vs Premium Chisels

Experiment: Cheap chisels vs Premium Chisels

I got out my Aldis last night and did a significant reshape on the handles. Now they look better/plainer and feel better in-hand than the originals. Sharpened at 22*, I use them only for paring softwood. But as I was putting them back in their rack, I looked at my Marples bench chisels (blue handles with white rings) and thought "Geez, these work fine. How much better could expensive chisels actually work?"

So I got on the web and studied up on Blue Spruce, LV & LN. Just for fun I looked at the new Stanley 750s, too. Though they arent priced in the Premium category, I was interested in socket chisels. (We have a couple excellent threads in the archives about the new 750s, BTW.) From what I can tell just reading - lotsa reading, but only reading - the biggest differences between cheaper vs Premium brands are: edge durability, thickness of the lands, the quality/finish of the machined surfaces AND the aestetics - how they look and how they feel.

So, I think I'm going to order 1-2 LNs and find out for myself whether a Premium chisel is nicer-enough to warrant the cost. I doubt it will improve the quality of my work in the slightest. But then I'll know for myself.

Has anyone else upgraded from cheapos to LNs? Was there any real difference in the way the tool handled, aside from edge durability?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I got out my Aldis last night and did a significant reshape on the handles. Now they look better/plainer and feel better in-hand than the originals. Sharpened at 22*, I use them only for paring softwood. But as I was putting them back in their rack, I looked at my Marples bench chisels (blue handles with white rings) and thought "Geez, these work fine. How much better could expensive chisels actually work?"

So I got on the web and studied up on Blue Spruce, LV & LN. Just for fun I looked at the new Stanley 750s, too. Though they arent priced in the Premium category, I was interested in socket chisels. (We have a couple excellent threads in the archives about the new 750s, BTW.) From what I can tell just reading - lotsa reading, but only reading - the biggest differences between cheaper vs Premium brands are: edge durability, thickness of the lands, the quality/finish of the machined surfaces AND the aestetics - how they look and how they feel.

So, I think I'm going to order 1-2 LNs and find out for myself whether a Premium chisel is nicer-enough to warrant the cost. I doubt it will improve the quality of my work in the slightest. But then I'll know for myself.

Has anyone else upgraded from cheapos to LNs? Was there any real difference in the way the tool handled, aside from edge durability?

Fred
    Fred,

Socket chisels were for carpenters, cabinet makers mostly used tanged chisels. Find a pre-war chisel meant for cabinet makers to run your tests. There is a difference.

ken

Fred,
    A lot of folks like the feel of the Stanley/LN handles.... They also have much narrower side bevels - which can be a big plus if you do a lot of dovetailing or fitting small pieces where you need to sneak up into the corners..

For example - I like my Blue Spruce's narrow side bevels when I fit the tail graft on my guitars. I used my Ashley Iles this time and it worked well - I just wish it was 2" longer....

And on the bit about edge life.... Don't assume the Aldi chisels will necessarily do worse on wood... Often they hold their own a lot better than you would think when you run them head to head - they just don't feel as refined or elegant when they do....
    Last edited by John C Cox; 05-12-2018 at 6:19 PM.

Fred, I went from a set of Stanley hardware store chisels (the fat max or whatever) to Ashley Iles. I noticed a big difference in the Iles. For whatever reason I can get them sharper. I have a set of the new Stanley socket chisels as well. I think the Iles are better. Sticking simply to the sharpening aspect, as the handles, etc. are too subject to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Fred, I went from a set of Stanley hardware store chisels (the fat max or whatever) to Ashley Iles. I noticed a big difference in the Iles. For whatever reason I can get them sharper. I have a set of the new Stanley socket chisels as well. I think the Iles are better. Sticking simply to the sharpening aspect, as the handles, etc. are too subject to personal preference.
    Nicholas,

Of modern Western Chisels the Ashley Iles tickle most of my chisel G-spots. If they had Boxwood handles they would be close to perfect. I haven't priced 'em in a bit but unless the price has gone way up they are a bargain as well.

ken

6. [QUOTE= .......my chisel G-spot......

ken[/QUOTE]

.....Lol......

Thanks everyone. All good info.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Nicholas,

Of modern Western Chisels the Ashley Iles tickle most of my chisel G-spots. If they had Boxwood handles they would be close to perfect. I haven't priced 'em in a bit but unless the price has gone way up they are a bargain as well.

ken
    Hi Ken, Nick,
    The Best Things and Tools for Working Wood both sell a set of 6 for about $200. What is it you like best about them? The doggone price is really hard to beat if these are truly good tools.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-12-2018 at 7:19 PM.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

For your amusement - here is a side view of a number of 1" chisels so you can get an idea of the profiles.
    from top:
    Woodcraft green handle
    Aldi
    Pfeil
    Woodcraft socket
    Two Cherries
    Marples
    Ashley Iles
    Stanley Fat Max full length

The AI is probably the thinnest/most "delicate" profile.... Very nice for paring.

image.jpg

Now THAT is a lot of 1" chisels.

Fascinating picture. Thanks John!

Try the LV PM-V11 chisels for chisels that sharpen easily and hold an edge for a long time. If you get the LN chisels you can make new handles to suit your hand. That's what I did with my LN chisels.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike!

Hi Ken, Nick,
    The Best Things and Tools for Working Wood both sell a set of 6 for about $200. What is it you like best about them? The doggone price is really hard to beat if these are truly good tools.

Fred
    Fred, I am not a chisel expert. I used the fat max ones for probably ten years because they were the only thing available in the hardware store when I went looking for chisels. They worked, so I was not going to spend money on other stuff. The Ashley Iles were a gift. I say this just because I am not Ken (who I think has every variety of chisel ever made).

What I like about them is the steel. I like the O1 a lot. I have never sat down and “scientifically” (I do not think a lot of the tests or comparisons we see are actually that scientifically valid) compared it to anything else, but my personal experience is that it sharpens a lot easier and takes a better edge then the couple of A2 blades I have, and a better edge then the “mystery steel” in the Stanley products.

I have read conflicting things on PMV-11. Some suggest it sharpens just like O1. The information on the LV website I read suggested it was more in line with A2. Whether it is easy or not probably depends on what stones you have, whether you use a Tormek or the sandpaper disk thing, etc. I have never handled PMV-11, so will leave the comparisons to others. You can compare price yourself.

The Iles handles are not Ken’s beloved boxwood. They are Bubinga or something hard, dense, and tropical. They feel like they have linseed oil or something on them, but I don’t really know. The brass ferrules may come loose in the winter (mine did when we moved to the new house) as the handles shrink in low humidity. I used a nail, and tapped one side lightly to make a little indent. They all hold now. I was unsure about the shape until I got my hands on them. I found I like them a lot. Ken has some antiques in pictures he has posted that have pretty much identical handles, so I assume it is a classic design.

The blades are fine. When I first pulled them out of the box, I thought they might be too fine to use. But that was silly. You are not going to bend them, unless you are doing something ridiculous. I have mortise chisels I use for mortises, but I have chopped with them without any concern (I have paid attention to Warren, and do not “beat” on them, nor do I pry or scrape them when cutting). The lands that everyone talks about are much thinner than any other new production chisels I have handled. I do not do a lot of dovetailing, but if you cannot get into the corner of a dovetail with one of the chisels in the six chisel set, I would be very surprised. They are finished well (not going to cut your hands on them).

Sharpening is what really caught my attention. I think I might have spent a half an hour on the whole set. I probably spent half an hour on each of my old Fat Maxes when I first got them. The Iles were all razor sharp. Somewhere along the way Ken mentioned using a combination of an India stone and an Arkansas with vintage or O1 steel. In my new shop water is a little more of a pain then in the old shop, so I decided to give it a try. The combination of an India (I have a medium, but I think if I were to do it again I would buy a fine) and a black Arkansas, plus a strop, and it takes almost no time to fix or refresh an edge. If I have done something stupid, or worked it longer then I should, the India will fix it in a couple of strokes. If I have not been doing anything dumb, I will just touch it up on the Arkansas or the strop.

I have not been able to do as much woodworking lately as I had hoped. Too much to do with a new house, kids, gainful employment, etc. But I have no regrets about the Iles chisels. If anybody needs something more out of a chisel they are doing something I am not doing. I have not looked at prices recently, but you can do that yourself. I picked up a used set of new Stanleys about a year after I got the Iles (partly because I always wanted to try a socket chisel, partly because the used set was not that expensive and I was curious). I think the Iles is a much better chisel for a little bit more money.

Possibly OT but maybe not. A hypothetical question, why would I buy a Japanese chisel instead of a western chisel or vice versa?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Thanks everyone. All good info.

Hi Ken, Nick,

Fred
    Fred,

Every thing Nick said much better than I could.

I will add, again just what Nick said, with chisels it is about "balance". By balance I mean a chisel that feels "good" in hand, that sharpens easily and quickly using your preferred stones and methods yet holds that edge long enough to get some work done. It isn't about being the best in this or that but more about being an extension of your hand and not getting in the way of work.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Possibly OT but maybe not. A hypothetical question, why would I buy a Japanese chisel instead of a western chisel or vice versa?
    Chris,

Western chisels and Japanese chisels come from different work traditions. Western chisels are built to be pushed or used with a soft or wood face mallet. Japanese bench chisels (oire nomi) are made to be struck with a steel hammer, there are different chisels for pushing. Also Japanese woodworkers have traditionally worked with softer woods than Western woodworkers. Both Western and Japanese chisels work well when used as designed. The best of all worlds is to have both and use them for their intended jobs. That is what I do, both have a place in my shop.

I know that doesn't answer your question mostly because there is not an answer to your question other than it depends.

ken