Thread: Today's haul; courtesy of a friend.

Today's haul; courtesy of a friend.

I have a friend that bought out a woodworker who retired but my friend wasn't using the jointer so he gave it and some wood to me. The wood contains a couple of good size pieces of ambrosia maple, about 15 board foot of cherry in various widths along with some white pine and red and white oak. There is also enough 1"x3"s to do the tops for a couple of plant tables I have planned for my girls.

Any tips on cleaning up and setting up a Rigid JP06101 Jointer. I need to clean it up some and check the adjustments but this is my first jointer so any tips will be appreciated.

Now for the eye candy.

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2510.jpgIMG_2509.jpg
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

So, I now have a planer and a jointer. The only major piece I'm missing at the moment is a drill press.

My friend also said he has some clamps and planes that I can have once he finds them. My shop is growing....
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

That definitely rates as a Winner!!! and GLOAT!!!! Around here they go for around $400 on CL. Dan

Nice score on the jointer, I've considered that one myself. I keep watching CL, but all I see is overpriced and/or junk.

I am curious if your jointer fence is straight. Mine was when it was new but after a couple of years I noticed that it developed a twist. I've heard that it is a common problem.

Mine is 11+ years old and no other problems. Holbren.com is a good source for replacement blades - no connection with Holbren.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    ....this is my first jointer so any tips will be appreciated.
    The MOST IMPORTANT thing about a jointer is safety - it's nice to keep the entire lengths of each of your current fingers. Guards, push sticks/devices, stance, size of work, etc.

Lots of jointer safety things on the internet, some of it conflicting. At first glance, this looks ok: http://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/...manual-jointer

JKJ

You have very cool friends

Sweet!,and of course, You suck!
    The jointer looks really clean as is. Probably won't take much more than some easy cleaning, and waxing and you're off to go.
    Set the outfeed table a few thousandths below the top of the blade, and drop the infeed table about a 16th to a 32nd below the outfeed table. Run some wood through it before you start adjusting it and let the results tell you what needs to be done.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-13-2018 at 5:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    I am curious if your jointer fence is straight. Mine was when it was new but after a couple of years I noticed that it developed a twist. I've heard that it is a common problem.

Mine is 11+ years old and no other problems. Holbren.com is a good source for replacement blades - no connection with Holbren.

Joe
    Joe, can you tell us more about this twist? If you're the original owner, would the lifetime warranty cover it?

Nice. That beats any price I have ever paid for a jointer.

Nice friend, and a good looking jointer.

Did you ever get a dust collector ? A shop vac isn't going to work very well on the jointer or especially the planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Nice friend, and a good looking jointer.

Did you ever get a dust collector ? A shop vac isn't going to work very well on the jointer or especially the planer.
    I have a small shop vac but no dust collector yet. That will be my next big purchase or maybe if I get lucky, my next big donated tool.

I figure I just need to make a lot of dust chips with the Table saw, the planer and the joiner then my wife will see the need and I can expedite my purchase.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Guess it depends on what woodworking projects you are interested in but I wouldn't put a high priority on a drill press. Drill press was one of the first shop tools I purchased several years ago but almost never use it, always find myself using cordless hand drills. Probably used that drill press a couple times in the last five years.

Good score. I have that same jointer and it is really simple to set up. Most of the adjustments on top are for getting the fence square. They should be easy to figure out.

The adjustment for the outfeed table height is underneath. It should be set to match the height of the blades. I adjust the height so that a ruler set across the cutters and outfeed table will barely move when slowly rotating the cutterhead by hand.

Move the fence to different positions if you are doing a lot of narrow stock. This keeps you from wearing out one end of the blade.

Other than that, a jointer is a pretty simple tool.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Guess it depends on what woodworking projects you are interested in but I wouldn't put a high priority on a drill press. Drill press was one of the first shop tools I purchased several years ago but almost never use it, always find myself using cordless hand drills. Probably used that drill press a couple times in the last five years.
    Thanks for the advice Julian. I already have a cordless drill and impact driver plus a 40 year old Craftsman drill that belonged to my Dad. I may just get a drill guide for those times I need perfect holes then wait for a Craig's List deal or for someone to donate one to me.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.