Thread: Contractor Saw PALS

Contractor Saw PALS

Wondering if anyone has used or installed the PALS system on their contractor saws. I received a set on Wednesday, but believe that one of my l-brackets is not correct. As opposed to the other and from pictures I have seen, I think the bracket has been drilled/tapped incorrectly. As you can see in the picture, it’s is drilled/tapped on an angle. I emailed the company and asked if I could get another bracket, and hopefully confirm that the bracket shouldn’t be drilled like that, but haven’t heard back from them yet. I unfortunately installed one of the studs, so sort of need to know on way or the other. Any help would be appreciated.

4B285DBE-7AF6-4DD8-B50C-CBA74C81229F.jpeg

What is a PALS system?

Not familiar with that term.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

The bolt in the lower one should not be at an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    What is a PALS system?

Not familiar with that term.
    The little brackets mount on the bolts on the rear trunion on a contractor style table saw and make it easier to align the blade with the miter gauge slots.

A nice diagram can be seen on the manufacturer's site.

Blog Entries
    That's wrong in my experience with them. Mine were always straight. The screw needs to be inline with the larger bolt hole as it pushes against the bolt to perform the adjustment.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    The little brackets mount on the bolts on the rear trunion on a contractor style table saw and make it easier to align the blade with the miter gauge slots.

A nice diagram can be seen on the manufacturer's site.
    Thanks Dave. My last contractor type saw (a Jet) was 18 years ago. I didn't realize these things existed. They make a lot of sense.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Thanks for the replies, I didn’t think it was correct, kind of defeats the purpose, but I’ve never used these before. I’ve sent two emails to any address I could find for the company including the receipt I got from the purchase (it was a legit email, not a do-not-reply), but haven’t heard back. Guess I’ll call Monday.

What model of saw are they for? C-Man, I might be able to check the directions for them. I still have a new set with directions. Sold the saw, when I got my Sawstop. Dan

Jet contractor. I think the difference between kits is the thread of the studs provided - mine are 8mm. My guess would be the L-brackets and the hex cap screws are universal.

The one looks like it waspoorly manufactured but it might still be usable. The cap screw with the locking nut pushes against the trunion, not the bolt. There's plenty of CI to push on and it won't take much. Still, it should be right and the manufacturer should replace it.

I agree, and would have tried it, but waiting to hear back about a replacement. I just could have put the good one on the side opposite of where I know the table has to be moved. I emailed two different addresses associated with In-Line Industries (bought it directly from their webpage) on Wednesday and included the photo above. As of now, no reply. Guess I’ll try and call someone on Monday. I somehow got the impression that it was a small operation that made them in house, and was initially surprised that something so egregiously misaligned could make it past QC, but package says made in Taiwan.

Jerry Cole used to make them himself, then got family involved. Finally set up an arrangement with Peachtree to get them. That's where the made in Taiwan comes from.

Steer clear of PALS/ In-Line industries! I ordered a pair of PALS over a month ago and after a couple of weeks with no parts or notification I tried calling, no answer and mailbox was full. Emailed the contact on my order summary no response. Emailed Jerry from the contact info on the website. No response. After a third attempt and three weeks after I was charged I requested a refund. By this time I could not wait any longer and tuned up my saw the old fashioned way. I finally received my first response from Jerry (In-Line) stating they were on back order and they just came in. He also said I would receive a credit and an email confirmation that day......NOTHING. I finally had to contact my credit card company after contacting Jerry yet again. They are now pursuing my refund.

The ironic thing was that I was reluctant to pay $26 (20+shipping) for angle stock and some screws, but I was pressed for time and thought this would easy peasy!

Very, very bad customer service.

Carl

Weird you mention that. When I had initially placed the order, I received an email confirmation immediately, then nothing afterwards. No ‘we received your order’, shipping confirmation, etc.. The PALS sort of showed up sometime later, but I don’t remember now how long it took. I wrote it off as Inline being a small in-house operation, but the whole thing felt kind of funny. I also emailed both of those addresses, but no reply, will be a week this Wednesday I believe.

Update. Got hold of someone this afternoon calling the phone number listed on their website. I didn’t catch the persons name, but he said he would send another bracket out this afternoon - I’m pretty sure that the person on the phone was the same as in the videos, so probably Jerry. So, that’s cool and hopefully solves the problem. He did say that they don’t open the packages, so they cannot be sure about issues, which is fine, and he was apologetic. Maybe the emails I sent with pictures of the offending bracket went to SPAM. I should mail the inferior one I have back to them, maybe they can alert the manufacturer and it won’t be an issue for someone else.