Thread: Turning Norfork Island Pine

Turning Norfork Island Pine

I have a dried Norfork Island Pine bowl blank. I tried unsuccessfully searching this forum to find out how to orient the blank to accentuate the "eyes"/branch spots. I believe that I heard that if not oriented properly I'll lose the distinctive accent color where the branches were
    Also does the coloring fade significantly over time and if so what finish would be suggested to try to retain the color?

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Lundgren; 05-11-2018 at 4:06 PM. Reason: Oops. Missed spelled. Should be Norfolk

Center the blank on the pith. Both ends. You should get the knots even that way. Unless you have Cook Island Pine where the knows will be in a whorl or spiral up the side of the blank.

As Kyle said..mount it Pith to pith so you are turning an end grain bowl and the eyes are all where they are supposed to be... here's one I did a while ago...the color hasen't changed at all and it has about 5-6 coats of WOP...

CAM00052.jpg CAM00050.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lundgren View Post
    I have a dried Norfork Island Pine bowl blank. I tried unsuccessfully searching this forum to find out how to orient the blank to accentuate the "eyes"/branch spots. I believe that I heard that if not oriented properly I'll lose the distinctive accent color where the branches were
    Also does the coloring fade significantly over time and if so what finish would be suggested to try to retain the color?

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bruce
    On this one, I finished it with boiled linseed oil and was very pleased with the result. It is end grain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMG_1915.jpgIMG_1916.jpg

Sorry about the picture orientation. Centered on the pith. No color loss after 8 years. finished with woo.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Colombo; 05-12-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    IMG_1915.jpgIMG_1916.jpg

Sorry about the picture orientation. Centered on the pith. No color loss after 8 years. finished with woo.

Jim
    Nice looking bowl... is woo the kind of finish that makes people go "WOO" when they see it??

I do not do much turning but really like the Norfolk island pine bowls.

Great knots!!

Beautiful bowls! Thanks guys for the suggestions. I hope I'm as successful as you all were in turning them.

Bruce