Thread: design opinion

design opinion

I've built a very simple craftsman style bed. See picture. I was thinking of trying to incorporate the wider post and top cross piece into the design of the dresser. Making the front side pieces a little wider and thicker than normal and having a wider top cross piece extend beyond the sides to mimic the cross piece on the bed.

I feel like I am forcing this into the design and it really won't look well and it creates some internal design challenges in the dress by doing so.

Thoughts.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian, I don't see the cross members as extending beyond the posts by an extraordinary distance. Neither the stiles nor the top of your dresser need to be that thick all through .. they could have a lip to mimic the idea of thickness. I think it would look great to maintain dimensions of similar members among your bedroom furniture.

Yonak, Cross piece does not hang over a lot, but I was thinking instead of normal thickness of 3/4" having it be thicker like 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 to mimic the bed. Same on the posts trying to bring that width into the dresser end verticals. Maybe going 1-3/4" or 2" wide x 1-1/4 thick.

Problem I am having, mentally, is figuring out how the internal structure to support the drawers and give support to the frame can fit around this thickness at the corners.

Thanks.

Brian

How tall do you plan the dresser to be?

Perhaps I'm not understanding completely, you're looking for a way to support drawers and slides? Many an antique has extra wood screwed to the inside to build out the inside far enough to support drawers. If you use modern slides, either side mount or under mount, there is a metal bracket that can be affixed to the back of the cabinet to support the back of the slide, the front of the slide can be affixed to either the post or the rail depending on slide style. No internal structure required.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Perhaps I'm not understanding completely, you're looking for a way to support drawers and slides? Many an antique has extra wood screwed to the inside to build out the inside far enough to support drawers. If you use modern slides, either side mount or under mount, there is a metal bracket that can be affixed to the back of the cabinet to support the back of the slide, the front of the slide can be affixed to either the post or the rail depending on slide style. No internal structure required.
    Normal dresser height @ 34" 60" long. Here is a sketch of how it would look with the wider and longer top piece combined with the wider and thicker leg to both mimic the bed design. Trying to figure out what if any issues, it creates for me on the internal design of the carcass when I try to tie into the corners on both ends with the levels of drawer supports.

Thanks.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see what you have in mind now. I was thinking something up on its legs like the bed. Maybe along these lines. As for the interior, have you thought of just going traditional with kickers, runners and spacers? I think that's what Tim was getting at. You could do it like this for example.

Dave, that's what I was thinking, but I have an 1 1/2 gap where the corners arefromthe internal frame sitting against the inside of the side panel. Is this not a problem. Thanks. Brian

Notch the runners/kickers to fit around the legs so they come up against the panels. The drawer guides get glued to the runners and prevent the drawers from trying to turn toward the sides. This is from a different dresser but you can see the runners, in blue, are notched around the legs and the guides, in pink, are attached to the runners.

How thick are you planning to make the panels? Are you going to use solid wood or plywood?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Notch the runners/kickers to fit around the legs so they come up against the panels. The drawer guides get glued to the runners and prevent the drawers from trying to turn toward the sides. This is from a different dresser but you can see the runners, in blue, are notched around the legs and the guides, in pink, are attached to the runners.

How thick are you planning to make the panels? Are you going to use solid wood or plywood?
    I was planning on using plywood as the panel but 3/4" thick material. Thought about noticing like your drawings shows. Thanks for the confirmation.

What do you think of carrying over the thicker top cross piece and heavier legs to match head board. Thought it would tie everything together when it was done and make it look ore custom.

Thanks.

Brian

I don't think I'd make the top too thick. Maybe 1 in or so. The rails underneath the top and the reveals at the legs are carried over from the bed. Maybe that didn't show too well in my other sketches. This is a closeup.

Hi Brian
    You may be reaching to carry something recognizable into the dresser. If you add some detail to the bed that can be carried over the effect may be better.

Cloud lifts, pegs, a bit of carving, almost anything.

Tom