Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripper changes

Stripper changes

The EPA has announced that it would ban methylene chloride in paint strippers. The articles I saw today didn't give details about how the ban might be implemented and whether any "loopholes" would exist. They do cite a number of fatalities even among persons wearing protective gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    The EPA has announced that it would ban methylene chloride in paint strippers. The articles I saw today didn't give details about how the ban might be implemented and whether any "loopholes" would exist. They do cite a number of fatalities even among persons wearing protective gear.
    Methylene Chloride isn't that much of a loss IMO. It really is fairly nasty stuff, and NMP is an adequate substitute, though slower-acting.

The catch is that the original rule would have also banned NMP, though there are indications that the final one may drop that. I can't help but wonder if they adequately considered the downsides (dust in lungs etc) of mechanical removal when they made the initial decision to ban both.

I saw the article in my local paper today. I looked at the health issues related to MC when I started using more of it several years ago. It didn't look any more dangerous than many other chemicals we can buy, but if the data says otherwise I'll have to look for an alternative. I wonder how many of those people who were hurt/died from MC stripper exposure wore proper PPE.

What's NMP?

John

A recent article by Bob Flexner in one of the magazines (may have been Popular Woodworking) addressed that same subject.
    As usually the case, if folks followed the directions on the container and used the product as the manufacturers' recommend, MC is no more a health hazard as mineral spirits. They recommend using the product in a well ventilated area, never indoors unless there is adequate cross ventilation.
    I have used it for years as the manufacturer suggested with good success. Shame all the good products are leaving us stranded.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    What's NMP?
    Yep, that's the stuff.

NMP is a weaker solvent than MC, but it's nonvolatile which means that you can leave it on the surface to do its thing over a long time (hours or even days). In my experience it can remove basically everything that MC can, with similar or lower total effort. I say "or lower" because I've experienced instances where MC evaporated before getting down to wood and had to be reapplied, but with NMP you can just wait longer. NMP also requires less cleanup before recoating.

I mostly use this. The bit about "fast acting" is marketing puffery IMO.

I don't understand why the initial/proposed EPA rule would have banned both, as NMP is fairly benign stuff. There have been concerns about its use in cosmetics, but that's a far cry from how we use paint stripper. IMO it's in a completely different league from MC.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-11-2018 at 8:24 PM.

Thanks for that follow up Patrick. Pricey stuff, but if it doesn't evaporate like MC stripper then the price is somewhat better. Think I'll give it a try.

John

So there's no timeline for this yet?

I refinish a couple pieces a month usually. I used CitriStrip once, never again. MC based strippers actually do the job in a reasonable amount of time- and I've only used the hardware store varieties, maybe you guys use something stronger.

Wonder if there's a shelf life / it's worth stocking up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Liebert View Post
    I refinish a couple pieces a month usually. I used CitriStrip once, never again. MC based strippers actually do the job in a reasonable amount of time- and I've only used the hardware store varieties, maybe you guys use something stronger.
    CitriStrip is good for removing easy stuff like wax, but that's about it. It isn't a viable paint/finish stripper IMO.

If you only do a couple pieces a month then why do you care how long it takes? Just apply a slow-acting but effective stripper like NMP ~1 day before you intend to start serious work on a piece and you're good to go.

My wife came in my office this evening as I was reading the Finishing Forum. When her eyes landed on the title of this thread, she punched me in the shoulder and walked out in a huff.

I guess she thinks I am reading an x-rated woodworking blog...

I was watching Ask This Old House last evening and a guy was using "Smart Strip" to strip paint/varnish off interior woodwork. They didn't say how long they left it on, but I took it to be less than a workday. It had some nice features being a thick paste and 0 VOC.

Anyone ever try it?

John

https://www.dumondchemicals.com/home...art-strip.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    I guess she thinks I am reading an x-rated woodworking blog...
    The solution is simple: Invite her to share in your hobby.

I was watching Ask This Old House last evening and a guy was using "Smart Strip" to strip paint/varnish off interior woodwork. They didn't say how long they left it on, but I took it to be less than a workday. It had some nice features being a thick paste and 0 VOC.

Anyone ever try it?

John

https://www.dumondchemicals.com/home...art-strip.html
    I question whether that would work on all finishes. Per the SDS the only active ingredient is benzyl alcohol.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-14-2018 at 12:24 PM.

I thought the EPA’s new job was to remove all previous restrictions? I was planning on buying some DDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I thought the EPA’s new job was to remove all previous restrictions? I was planning on buying some DDT.
    I was thinking more along the lines of 2,4,5-T.