Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The information age is scary

The information age is scary

I wanted to track down some people. The unknown grandchildren of a known deceased person to whom my wife is related. All the on-line family trees have the person's children and grandchildren marked "private." with no information available. So I resorted to a few research tricks I used before I retired. I looked on "find a grave" and got the DOB and DOD and location where he lived. I then did a newspaper archive search for the the person. I learned where the person went to high school, looked up the wedding announcement, his obituary. That gave me the names of his children and some of the grandkids. .I even had the guy's yearbook picture. Then I looked up each of the surviving kids. Checked linkeden, facebook and zillow. Within 2 hours I had the entire family tree down to the 2 yr old great great grandson, knew where they lived and worked. I had various pictures of each child/grandchild. Had pictures of their homes, the homes' worth, what cars they drove and their criminal histories. Even got exact birth dates for half of them. These people are scattered across the midwest and Pacific coast. And I got it all for free without leaving my desk. Amazingly, much of this is available regardless of how private you try to keep things.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    I wanted to track down some people. The unknown grandchildren of a known deceased person to whom my wife is related. All the on-line family trees have the person's children and grandchildren marked "private." with no information available. So I resorted to a few research tricks I used before I retired. I looked on "find a grave" and got the DOB and DOD and location where he lived. I then did a newspaper archive search for the the person. I learned where the person went to high school, looked up the wedding announcement, his obituary. That gave me the names of his children and some of the grandkids. .I even had the guy's yearbook picture. Then I looked up each of the surviving kids. Checked linkeden, facebook and zillow. Within 2 hours I had the entire family tree down to the 2 yr old great great grandson, knew where they lived and worked. I had various pictures of each child/grandchild. Had pictures of their homes, the homes' worth, what cars they drove and their criminal histories. Even got exact birth dates for half of them. These people are scattered across the midwest and Pacific coast. And I got it all for free without leaving my desk. Amazingly, much of this is available regardless of how private you try to keep things.
    There is no such thing as privacy anymore. unless one lives completely off the grid an expectation of privacy in naive.IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    There is no such thing as privacy anymore. unless one lives completely off the grid an expectation of privacy in naive.IMHO.
    Even being off the grid doesn't hide everything. You can still bring up Google maps and use the arial view to see what kind of car they drive. And you can search public records that most people don't even know exists.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

LOL!
    You think it's bad/easy now, just wait until the machines take over!!!! .

(JK - only a tiny tiny tiny bit)
    The last Professor Stephen Hawking said something to the effect that the thing he feared most was - AI (artificial intelligence)
    As a retired IT guy & database administrator - - I totally agree with him.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    How long do you suppose before Google Earth goes live?
    Did you know anyone who can hack your phone can use its infrared sensor to watch your movements without the need for its camera?
    Pretty much have to place your smartphone in a lead sarcophagus to hide.

Anyone recall the movie Colossus the Forbin Project. Very prophetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Anyone recall the movie Colossus the Forbin Project. Very prophetic.
    I remember that movie but I watched it 2 times and both times something came up before I saw the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Anyone recall the movie Colossus the Forbin Project?
    I remember watching this movie on TV in the early '70s... and I was both fascinated and scared crapless simultaneously. I was very interested in computers at the time (quite rudimentary by today's standards: time-sharing teletypes running basic programs from paper tape) so this movie stuck with me. I reflect back on it from time to time, and am amazed at how far computing has come.

We haven't created a Colossus yet, but we seem to be on the path. When folks who are "in the know" like Professor Hawking and Elon Musk say that they are concerned, that concerns me as well. However, I don't see any practical courses of action that we as individuals, or even as a society, would be willing to do to prevent such a thing.

It still sounds scary that, just like in the movie, we will have set the electronic "gears" in motion and won't figure out the downside until it is too late.

A little off the 'information age' thing a bit, but what I'm finding prophetic and a bit funny, is remembering Jack Bauer in season 7 episode 1 getting grilled by politicians about his torture tactics, and now we have a little old lady getting grilled by politicians about hers...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Even being off the grid doesn't hide everything. You can still bring up Google maps and use the arial view to see what kind of car they drive. And you can search public records that most people don't even know exists.
    Google maps updates depending on population density. My shop is 1.5 years old. My neighbor's shop is 3.5 years old. Neither is on Google maps. So, depending on your location, you have may have a bit of time... I didn't say it was full proof.
    -Lud

Anyone know how to find out when the satellite is going to take a picture of your house? I'd like to rent a red ferrari to park in the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Google maps updates depending on population density. My shop is 1.5 years old. My neighbor's shop is 3.5 years old. Neither is on Google maps. So, depending on your location, you have may have a bit of time... I didn't say it was full proof.

If you use street view, it makes a difference what lane you are in. I could see two different views (date)of my house if I was looking from the west bound lane vs east bound lane.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

if you live in or around Phoenix I think it update monthly or at least every few months. they build whole cities out here in a few months LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    And knowing the when and where someone was born, gives you the ability to guess their SSN with fair accuracy. It is a bold and brave new world we live in. Big Brother is alive and well, Hal is an infant, and Skynet is just around the corner.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Big Brother is alive and well, Hal is an infant, and Skynet is just around the corner.
    Now if only Big Brother would notice Hal and Skynet have stolen the keys to our cars...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    If you use street view, it makes a difference what lane you are in. I could see two different views (date)of my house if I was looking from the west bound lane vs east bound lane.
    I had never looked at the street view of my place. September 2013 is the last photo taken and it was at the cross roads of my property. Have a look. My home is on the northern hill shrouded by red and white oak trees. I guess Google doesn't like its cars driving down dirt roads.
    -Lud