Thread: New to Me Tool Storage

New to Me Tool Storage

Just completed the main work on my latest project. A wall-mounted tool storage shelf. Overall pretty happy with how it turned out. Still learning precision when it comes to marking lines for things like dados, and this was my first time ever making something with drawers. The bottom drawers ended up a bit short (1/16th"ish) but overall they all fit really well. This was also my first opportunity to work with grooved drawer/box bottoms, and my first opportunity to use my new Veritas router plane.

The drawers in particular were a good lesson in starting with measurements but ultimately fitting to the space required. Also, it is already abundantly clear that this is not going to be nearly big enough for the tools and supplies I'm acquiring so it just means I have more projects in my future!

Thanks, everyone, for being such a great learning resource!

IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0007.jpg1

Looks good to me! And nice, flexible design that will serve you well. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good start.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's very nice Brian!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yea, looks real good Brian, lots of nice joinery practice going on there and the little drawers will come in handy. Not sure if you planned it so you could take it off the wall and use it near the bench but that idea appeals to me. You new saw horse looks good also.

looks great and nice details in the work.

Compact, efficient, well planed, and well executed. Nice Job! You will enjoy having this shelf for years to come, though it probably won't be too long before you build another one. These tools have a way of multiplying .

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Overall I’m very happy with how it turned out. It will definitely fill up sooner than I’m sure I’d like so I know more storage will be in the works in the future! I’ve already been watching some videos about making plans storage (the kind where the are stored vertically) so that will help keep some space on the shelves for a while, at least.

apparently there is a twice per year antique tool show in June in my area and it’d be nice to maybe pick up a panel saw or two and who knows what else!

That's classy work.

What type of finish are you thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    That's classy work.

What type of finish are you thinking of?
    Matt,

My parents would like a wall shelf similar to what I made for my wife, but with a gray stain to match their bathroom colors. Basically a weathered gray look. I’d like to start getting away from staining now that I feel like I’m at the point where I’d feel comfortable tackling some projects with lumber better than pine but I thought it would look interesting to try out the stain on the tool shelf to see how it really looked (I did test some variations in procedure on scrap first). All in all it came out alright, but it did inform me that the stain process I went with will work really well for the shelves I’ll be building my parents.

Btw - not the best photo...the stain actually is pretty transparent and the grain shows through nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice work. Have you considered using Milk Paint? I think the design lends itself really well towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    Really nice work. Have you considered using Milk Paint? I think the design lends itself really well towards that.
    Hasin, I did think about it, but used this as an excuse to try this stain for an upcoming project. I used General Finishes red milk paint on the cupboard I built - not real milk paint, I know, but it turned out really well. I would like to use the real powdered stuff on a project at some point in the future.