Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14" bandsaw advice

14" bandsaw advice

So, I'm looking to buy a bandsaw for my garage to replace the other saws I had and either sold or moved out to the shop (1/2 hour away). This saw will see light duty (I would head to the shop for the full complement of tools). I don't want a tabletop and I need to keep the footprint to a minimum, so a 14" should fit the bill. We have a MM16 out at the shop, and everything I've looked at in the 14" size seems to pale in comparison.

I've looked at the Laguna 14bx, 220 volt, and it's OK. What's the best 14" bandsaw if you didn't care about the cost?

Buy another MM16. You probably won't be happy with anything else.

You might consider the new steel spined 14" Grizzly G0817.

What types of cuts are you going to be making primarially ?

James,

My due dilligence for a 14" BS a few years ago lead me to the Laguna 14/12. They have newer models of 14" saws but the 14/12 is as good as they get in 14" (IMO).

Doug

I have a Jet JWBS-14SF. My first bandsaw. Every time I use it I wish I had stepped up to a MM. The JWBS-14SF guide system is darn near impossible to align properly. Cheap.

I'm a very satisfied user of the Rikon 14" 10-326. Given what you say about the MM16, it sounds like most 14" saws won't measure up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post

This is what I was thinking. It shouldn't take up that much more room. It does sound like extreme overkill though.

I have the 14BX in 220v and like it a lot. I’m on my way out to the shop now to find that damned little screw they use to hold down the throat plate. Dust collection has been very good. Initially I had some issues with the guides, but that was a personal problem.

It depends upon what your needs are. If you need the capability of a MM16 then it (or the Grizzly G0636X) is the smallest saw that's going to meet your needs. But for "light duty" nearly any 14" saw will be fine. I have a 14" cast iron Delta that I've used for everything from delicate work with a 1/4" blade up to sawing 10"+ veneer. I think the Laguna saws already mentioned will handle any "light duty" needs, and then some. I bought a G0636X because I saw a lot of veneer and it's a great saw for that purpose, but I still use the Delta for nearly everything else.

John

If cost (and time) was no option, I'd probably look for an older cast iron Rockwell or Pentair 14" and throw some love into it if needed. Other than that any of the decent current 14" would probably work just fine.

Recently picked up a like new Delta 14" for $500. Have owned 2 other Delta 14's. These are the gold standard.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Bought a used Jet 14" with bunch of blades and riser on CL for $300. Can't wait to sell it and get a more HP saw with better guides. I'm hesitant to try and resawing on this thing.

I have the Laguna 14bx, 220v and rather love it. Have done resawing with the resaw king, more fine cutting work, and think it's probably the best you can do in the 14 class. The ceramic guides, quick tensioner, and foot brake are examples of things I'd have a hard time doing without!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I had the MM16 in the garage at one time before moving it out to the shop...it's a little tall and long for the space I want to store it.