Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Not in my Home!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Finally, the first post actually pointing out why these devices are horrible and should be kept out of your home.
    LOL!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Many years ago (we're talking the '70's), any perceptions of privacy I thought I had were dashed to bits all because of one 'letter to the editor'. Since that day I've done whatever I could to put myself and family at the extreme fringes of 'the grid'. Being a small business owner doesn't help, I can easily be found on Google these days. However, I'm still not about to simply hand over the keys to my house to any crackpot hacker, 'intelligence', Apple or Microsoft without a fight. The only 'smart' thing I own is computers, none with an OS newer than win7, and I'm THEIR boss, not the other way 'round. Everything I own that THINKS its smart- my Playstation, Wii, the TV's, all are divorced from the www. I have a 10 year old flip phone that I use maybe 4 times a month. I can start my own car, and drive it myself too. I can program my own thermostat. I can play my own music. I write down notes to myself on my hand, sometimes on paper. I don't text, I write email or <gasp> just use the phone. And usually (I'm still working towards 'always'), everything I do 'by wire', can't be traced back to me. (go ahead, tell me my IP address ) My product searches, shopping habits, phone calls, the websites I visit, my recreational activities, emails I read & write, are all MY business and no one else's, and certainly NOT for Google to sell or anyone else to steal.

So yeah, not in MY house either!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I start my car with my phone or watch. I also don't need a box in the living room to do it for me.
    Well here is another one we can disagree with. I would never remote start my car, for several reasons. First and foremost, if you are not in the car, you cannot tell if there was a coolant leak, an oil leak or other issue that can cause serious problems. Newer cars, I grant you, will mostly shut down before damage has been done, but still a possibility. Secondly, where I live, pollution is a real issue, with most of it coming from vehicles. The Wasatch Front is monitored by the EPA and many cities now have 'no idle' laws in place. All to combat a series issue that is causing a number of health issues. Finally, there is the cost. I know your car likely only runs a minute before you go out, but how often does that get stretched to two or three or more. Cost to idle isn't the same as driving, but it is more than you realize and tougher on the vehicle too.

I grew up, and lived many years where it is cold in the winter. I never saw a reason to start my car and let it idle even when it was -40.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    I've had remote start in every vehicle since the late 90s. Wouldn't be without it.
    This is one feature that does appeal to me. It would be nice to have the car warm when you get in on those cold mornings or have it cooled off on those warm afternoons.

If one is really paranoid, then remote start is good so you can make sure someone didn't plant a bomb connected to your ignition.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is one feature that does appeal to me. It would be nice to have the car warm when you get in on those cold mornings or have it cooled off on those warm afternoons.

If one is really paranoid, then remote start is good so you can make sure someone didn't plant a bomb connected to your ignition.

jtk
    Why are you worried about bombs in your car?

Finally, the first post actually pointing out why these devices are horrible and should be kept out of your home.
    You just can't handle the truth. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Well, it's probably a bigger threat than the idea that someone will hack your car and steal it or whatever because you have one of the cellular connections in it.

Funny that someone got so butt-hurt that they deleted my entire post pointing out the silliness of worrying about your car sitting around idling. How sleazy.

Anyway, I let my car idle a lot longer than assumed, and it costs nothing really. Or more specifically, it's well worth it.

I'd love to know which mod has it out for me and continually attacks my posts. I said nothing that violated any rules and it was a pretty simple and to the fact post.

Funny that someone got so butt-hurt that they deleted my entire post pointing out the silliness of worrying about your car sitting around idling. How sleazy.

Anyway, I let my car idle a lot longer than assumed, and it costs nothing really. Or more specifically, it's well worth it.

I'd love to know which mod has it out for me and continually attacks my posts. I said nothing that violated any rules and it was a pretty simple and to the fact post.
    Your post was honest and from the heart I am sure. However it was not completely accurate, in my opinion, and will leave it at that. Your are correct in that it is worth it to you, but there is a cost to idling. A cost in actual funds to you, and a cost to those around you in the form of more pollution. Perhaps in your area the pollution isn't a big deal.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of replies to this post and I haven't read all yet but it would be nice if those who reply also post their age or age range. I'm 72 and struggle to keep up with tech these days. Have been using computers since my Navy days in the 60s but I have to force myself to keep up so I'm looking for logical reasons in the rest of the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Your post was honest and from the heart I am sure. However it was not completely accurate, in my opinion, and will leave it at that. Your are correct in that it is worth it to you, but there is a cost to idling. A cost in actual funds to you, and a cost to those around you in the form of more pollution. Perhaps in your area the pollution isn't a big deal.
    Anyone who isn't driving the most fuel-efficient vehicle possible has already decided that their comfort and needs come before the environment. I only made one more small compromise in my comfort versus cost to both myself and the environment. It's no different from deciding you want a nicer car than the most bare minimum, most efficient car possible. There's no high horse available here, sorry.

There are a lot of replies to this post and I haven't read all yet but it would be nice if those who reply also post their age or age range. I'm 72 and struggle to keep up with tech these days. Have been using computers since my Navy days in the 60s but I have to force myself to keep up so I'm looking for logical reasons in the rest of the posts.
    53, and I run two tech companies. I started working on TVs with my dad before I was five years old. Love it. My dad basically "dropped out" of tech beyond transistors (we made the leap from tubes together, he stopped keeping up when it became ICs bigger than a 555). I vowed I would never allow that to happen to me, as I think it was part of what led to his mental decay.

Anyone who isn't driving the most fuel-efficient vehicle possible has already decided that their comfort and needs come before the environment. I only made one more small compromise in my comfort versus cost to both myself and the environment. It's no different from deciding you want a nicer car than the most bare minimum, most efficient car possible. There's no high horse available here, sorry.
    No, I don't drive the most fuel efficient car, but likely in the upper range. I drive a Toyota Corolla with a manual. I average about 37 mpg. Sure I would like to dive a 3/4 ton pickup, but won't pay for the gas nor the truck. Was born cheap and will die that way.

BTW, I am 57 and started using computers in college, then more in the Navy, so have been around them a long time. Actually, come to think of it, I started programing in high school using IBM punch cards. Haven't thought about that in a long time. I suppose for me I just don't find much of the new tech, like Alexa, all that much useful or wanted in my life. And yes, I don't like the idea of Amazon, Google, or any other company having the ability to listen in to my life. I don't worry that much about people hacking in, more the pervasive invasion by companies. Call me paranoid.

John Steinbeck

No, I don't drive the most fuel efficient car, but likely in the upper range. I drive a Toyota Corolla with a manual. I average about 37 mpg. Sure I would like to dive a 3/4 ton pickup, but won't pay for the gas nor the truck. Was born cheap and will die that way.
    Then yeah, your horse is pretty high, and you are doing your part. I apologize for my assumption. The last time I was yelled at for idling was by a guy in a 1-ton.

I suppose for me I just don't find much of the new tech, like Alexa, all that much useful or wanted in my life. And yes, I don't like the idea of Amazon, Google, or any other company having the ability to listen in to my life. I don't worry that much about people hacking in, more the pervasive invasion by companies. Call me paranoid.
    I completely respect "not useful." That's a value call. I have no respect for FUD used as an excuse or justification for being anti-tech or anti-modernization, and I want to keep the facts out there because fear has slowed down so much tech. I do find Siri on my watch extremely useful, meaning I use it dozens of times per day for both business and personal needs. But a box on the counter would only help if I'm in that room, and I use my voice control in many places, not just one room. So yeah, I just don't get it, other than being an ok BT speaker.

Apple, BTW, makes it very clear that everything you do with them is secure even from their own eyes. You bought the product, you own it and you own the data. Google, Amazon, and the others consider YOU the product, and you do not own your own data. Bit of a difference.

Then yeah, your horse is pretty high, and you are doing your part. I apologize for my assumption. The last time I was yelled at for idling was by a guy in a 1-ton.

I completely respect "not useful." That's a value call. I have no respect for FUD used as an excuse or justification for being anti-tech or anti-modernization, and I want to keep the facts out there because fear has slowed down so much tech. I do find Siri on my watch extremely useful, meaning I use it dozens of times per day for both business and personal needs. But a box on the counter would only help if I'm in that room, and I use my voice control in many places, not just one room. So yeah, I just don't get it, other than being an ok BT speaker.

Apple, BTW, makes it very clear that everything you do with them is secure even from their own eyes. You bought the product, you own it and you own the data. Google, Amazon, and the others consider YOU the product, and you do not own your own data. Bit of a difference.
    Getting yelled at by a guy driving a 1 ton is funny.

You might recall Google's original statement about service use, I believe. They said 'Don't be evil.' Once they realized that was cutting into their profits, they changed it to a massive doc that no one will ever read. Today it is pretty much do as much evil as you want, as long as it is profitable.

I am not an Apple fan, though do have one iPhone 5 that I use for work. Mostly I use Motorola phones as they are pretty, well, cheap. They also seem to take some of the best photos.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Please notice it says, "if one is really paranoid, then remote... ." Hopefully none of my actions have pushed someone to the point of wanting to obliterate my existence.

jtk