Thread: What do you do with

Blog Entries

What do you do with

miscellaneous tools in your shop.

My garage shop is slowly being recovered from the Harvey flood. I have de-rusted tools, discarded some, thrown out lumber scraps,
    put screws and bolts into baggies, and am in the process of building a replacement bench with drawers for storage. I have two floats,
    a Lie Nielsen 1"X6" and a no name 1/2"X3 1/2". They are both bright, sharp, and rust free.

The problem is, I don't know where to put them. I can tie a string around the handles and hang them over the work bench, but that wall
    is over crowded. I get clear plastic shoe boxes and store things in them. But there are too many of the shoe boxes.

Another thing, I am not a spring rooster, and what should I do with this stuff after I go? It's not imminent, but none of us live forever.
    I hate to think about the love of my life having to deal with this if and when?

Just wondering . . . . . . . ...........

In the recent past, you apparently went through just about everything you owned.
    You either cleaned, de-rusted or sorted it, according to your posts.

Now, it seems would be a good time to start a written (and ideally photographic) inventory.

This would leave your family with some idea of what things are worth.
    Almost as important, it would answer the question of "what the heck is this thing and what is it used for?"

Armed with this information, your heirs could intelligently look up prices, be armed with descriptions, etc. for the purpose of listing your tools.

My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my tools for what I told I paid for them.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Joe, your suggestions hit home. I will start a ledger showing my tool list. Thanks.

Have a Yard Sale....

Blog Entries
    Another thing, I am not a spring rooster, and what should I do with this stuff after I go?
    After you go, it won't be your problem.

Often when a deal is found, my first thing to do when we get home is to show my wife what they sell for on ebay. Recently a Stanley #40 was purchased for a little less than $40. My wife was a bit surprised to see they sell for a bit more on ebay.

As to your floats, there are likely many members like myself who would be happy to buy them from you. Pay the $6 to become a Contributor and list them in the Classified Ads here on SMC.

Another would be to find other woodworkers with similar interests and leave them to them.

My hope is one of my grandkids will get the bug and be able to use what is left behind.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)