Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perch Stool - Walnut

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have heard that makers started productionizing these by buying parts like spindles, posts, and seat blanks.
    Even Curtis Buchanan occasionally has someone do his turnings, although he certainly doesn’t Ned to. And what an unbelievable service he has provided with his video series!

Red red oak

I have been experimenting with steam bending. I used some practice pieces (these were originally back posts for a Peter Galbert Rocker) to make this stool. The dimensions and geometry on this one don't quite work both to my eye and in feel, but I guess this is how we learn.

These legs too were riven before bending. As such they were quite wonderful to plane. I shaped the feet with a block plane.

It's colored with dye, sealed with shellac and top coated with Enduro Clear Poly. Dye on oak has a tendency not to absorb into the pores. I didn't try to remedy that.

I'm still learning how to line up those confounded wedges. The right one is a little cockeyed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Prashun,

You are an inspiration. I've been pulled off staked furniture by SWMBO to build a changing table for the new Grandpeanut but once that is finished I'll be following you.

ken

I see a pizza restaurant commision in your future !

Both of those are nice stools!
    Sounds like you had a ball making them, too. It don't get any better than that!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”