Thread: Vintage bandsaws

Vintage bandsaws

Anyone familur with specifically the Powercraft by Montgomery Ward 12” bandsaw or the Atlas Power King.

I have one of each local to me and I’m intereted in one of them to replace a Laguna 14x12. I just don’t care for the Laguna saw. My internet is to sell it and buy one fo these saws and pocket a bundle of cash.

I have a Minimax S500P on the way I will setup as a dedicated resaw. I’m looking to use one of the above two saws to run a 3/8 blade for small radiused and scroll type work.

So anyone have a oppinion as to what saw I should go with or just general info or opinions on either machine.

Thank you,

I would grab the Atlas first but wouldn’t be too upset if I had to settle for the Powerkraft. I believe Atlas made Craftsman tools for a while so it’s sort of like choosing between Montgomery Ward and Sears. You will be fine either way but you will make more old tool collectors jealous with the Atlas.

Well I just found out some knucklehead sawed the door of the Montgomery Ward in half and welded it together with some plate stock. They also made modifications to the hinges.

Pretty much just lost interest in that machine.

Sadly I really liked the look of it and for what I can figure it’s also a good enough saw for my intended purpose. That’s as was like a three hour drive from me. The Atlas is like fifteen minutes from me.

So what makes the Atlas more desirable..

I have an Atlas Power King and I can tell you it is a good old saw. It is smallish, but well built and easily repaired with common bearings etc. I like the heft of the machine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

I hope to go pick it up tomorrow.

It being small is not a deterrent as i will also have a dedicated resaw as previously mentioned.

I don’t know why I just don’t like that 14/12 Laguna. Other than resawing hard maple or teak or any other hard timber there is reallly nothing wrong with it I supppose.

Well I can’t stand the ceramic guides, “like I hate them”! Generally it just feels like cheap poorly made junk destine for a lanfill than to live ten lives.

Sure hope I dont feel that way about the new Minimax sp500....