Thread: Sawbench

Sawbench

Had some scraps left over from the garden bench, so I figured it was time to build a sawbench.

Back.jpg
    Front.jpg

Maybe now I can learn how to rip with a handsaw.

Any recommendations on what, if anything, to use for a finish?

Blog Entries
    I made a saw bench many years ago. My notch is shaped different, but they function the same.
    I have a Disston handsaw collection to go with it. I did not put a finish on mine.

Blog Entries
    Any recommendations on what, if anything, to use for a finish?
    Interesting design, for a finish what ever you have on hand should be fine. One of mine was coated with boiled linseed oil, others were left unfinished.

If you just want to protect it from the elements house paint would do.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

How convenient...I was just convinced of the need for a sawbench in another thread last week. I was thinking about the split top sawbench I see all over the internet but this design looks a little less time-consuming to put together and the big notch you have cut out in the top accomplishes the same goal as the split top. Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hutchinson477 View Post
    How convenient...I was just convinced of the need for a sawbench in another thread last week. I was thinking about the split top sawbench I see all over the internet but this design looks a little less time-consuming to put together and the big notch you have cut out in the top accomplishes the same goal as the split top. Thanks for sharing this.

• The split top doesn't require shifting the work back and forth when working on a piece longer than the notch. Or working off the side edge, so the notch doesn't contribute.
    • In the OP's design, I think it looks like the notch is too wide to support narrow pieces. Hard to be sure, but it looks to be over 3 inches wide; hard to use on anything narrower than around 4".
    • The absence of lengthwise stretchers may lead to racking over time. Hopefully not soon.

It's obvious that the OP has done a very nice job of building his bench. And I'm sure it will do a good job on a lot of work. I do think the design limitations will become an irritant sooner or later.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

You find that very useful. I don't have the type of bench I usually make here at home. The type is square legged like yours with a v notch at the end a hand hole in the center of the top and a tray in the bottom to facilitate carrying a few tools. I do have its partner here as pictured. They are the same heights to help with longer work and to assist with my vertically challenged stature.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those insights are very helpful, as I am going to build a companion bench of the same height but with different features. My main motivation was to get two medium height stands that I can use when I am sanding and finishing projects, but I also wanted to build a sawbench.

For this one, I couldn't decide between split-top or bird's-beak style (like I saw in a Chris Schwarz article), splay leg or straight leg, etc. I finally just grabbed some scraps, glued them up and knocked something out that I could get done in a reasonable amount of time. The gap is about 3" wide. I did not really even think about that.

I have an 8" wide piece of 8/4 oak that I was going to use for the next one. I was planning on a solid, stout top that would support some holdfasts and be useful for mortising. Perhaps a full split-top with a narrower gap would be better. Or, maybe I need three little benches the same height, all with different style tops.

But first, I am going to try my first rip cut on a long board with a handsaw.

Blog Entries
    I would say that you can makes saw benches different in height and different in length as well.
    This will allow you to have one for different tasks.

If you decide on a split top type saw bench, be sure to have the gap wide enough to allow for whatever clamps you have. I didn’t, and regret not thinking that through. Being able to use clamps through the gap would be very helpful in many situations.

Usually...any clamping on mine...involves just sitting down.
    SDC15807.jpg
    Which explains why the "front" legs are not as splayed as the back ones...need room for my big feet.
    SDC15800.jpg
    Notch stops the saw from getting too personal .....

I measured, and the gap is 3.25”, which in retrospect is indeed too wide.

Maybe I can make a zero-clearance insert.

Next project will will be learning to sharpen a handsaw. It made a lot of noise but didn’t cut very well.

Blog Entries
    Next project will will be learning to sharpen a handsaw. It made a lot of noise but didn’t cut very well.[/QUOTE]

Make or get a saw vise, saw files, and a saw set. I find that sanding a rusty saw plate and coating it with Johnson's floor wax prevents rust.