Thread: Whats wrong with my angle grinder?

Whats wrong with my angle grinder?

I know this isn't woodworking related but I thought this was the best place to ask. So I was cutting a piece of metal with my angle grinder last night. The cutoff wheel was binding a little bit, then all of a sudden something popped and it quit running. The gearbox was really hot. I thought maybe the circuit breaker had popped but it hadn't. I let it set and cool down but it still doesn't work. The grinder is a Dewalt small 4 1/2 inch grinder. What is going on you think?

I don't know how old the grinder is, but I would first check the brushes.
    I've replaced many on the Dewalts over the last few years.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

If it was hot and you heard a pop it could be bearings and/or broken gears in the head.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

A pop sounds like something carrying current melted down. It would still make noises if it was a gear problem.

I have a 30 year old Harbor Fright angle grinder that I've really put through the paces. At one point, 15 years ago, it started to sputter and act erratically. I found that if I wacked the rear end of the angle grinder with a rubber mallet that it would resume normal operation. After doing this for months I finally opened it up and found that the power wires went into a metal sleeve and held in place with a set-screw. One was loose. So I tightened it. In fact I decided to invest the time to tighten both screws. Ha ha. Since then I've continued to use it and abuse it. It just keeps on ticking.

My advice is to just buy another angle grinder of your choice. The Harbor Fright is dirt cheap. Under $20 on sale. But even the name-brand angle grinders are under $50.