Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ICS Sawstop onto ICS Base. Any Tricks?

Getting ICS Sawstop onto ICS Base. Any Tricks?

I might be able to get 3 other guys and my fiance but that would take some coordinating. Figure two guys on each side and my fiance guiding the base.

If other helpers aren't free. What would be another trick? I'm sure my dad is free and my fiance.

Read someone used a lil giant ladder in the A position and hooked a pulley to the middle. Suppose I can rent an engine hoist too. My dad has one but its beat up. He used it to pull concrete piles for decks out. Suppose it's worth a try, just need to get it off the ground 4".

I believe you are over thinking this..... You can do this with a couple guys. Tip up the saw one side, slide the dolly under halfway and bring them saw back down. Slide the saw the rest of way onto dolly. You coud use a hand truck if you like. And your spouse can bring some beer.

Engine hoist. Buy one, and learn how to make harnesses for it. Unless all you make are birdhouses, you will find this to be a good investment of your time and intellectual energy.

Woo woo, snick snick, there is an immense satisfaction in being a crane operator, rockets to the moon and all that. Unless you're building birdhouses, but you bought an ICS.

I put all of my tools in their mobile bases myself. Lift one side and slide a block of wood under it with your foot. Lift the other side and slide the base under it. I put a2x4 between the tool an the base. Slide the tool into position on said 2x4 and lower one side into the base. Lift the other side and kick out the 2x4. Lower it into the base. You can have I done before anybody shows up to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I put all of my tools in their mobile bases myself. Lift one side and slide a block of wood under it with your foot. Lift the other side and slide the base under it. I put a2x4 between the tool an the base. Slide the tool into position on said 2x4 and lower one side into the base. Lift the other side and kick out the 2x4. Lower it into the base. You can have I done before anybody shows up to help.
    This is where I get to put in a plug for Red Wing steel-toe work boots. In a well-insulated shop, nobody can hear you scream.

One of my best tool purchases was a HF engine hoist. Do not use very often but is a great help. It folds up nicely to store it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    One of my best tool purchases was a HF engine hoist. Do not use very often but is a great help. It folds up nicely to store it.
    I have thought about picking one of these up multiple times, but Im worried I wont have space to store it! How small do these fold down to?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The sawstop is heavy, but it's not that heavy. Yeah you could get a bunch of people to pick it up, but you could also just lift it up onto a pallet with a pry bar, one corner at a time, then slide it onto the base. That's what I did.

I did it completely by myself and don't remember having any serious difficulty with it.

Have the same saw and have never had any helper when moved (twice) to take it off the base and back on the base. You just have to think carefully and plan as Cary said. If you have a couple of helpers it's really simple then. easy to lift one side by two people and slide the base under from one side then lift the other side and slide the saw over the base while one is holding the base in place.

Id sell my fold up engine hoist if anyone is local and interested.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    . If you have a couple of helpers it's really simple then. easy to lift one side by two people and slide the base under from one side then lift the other side and slide the saw over the base while one is holding the base in place.
    This is how my neighbors have done their lifting on many heavy machines (not the SS).

To go buy a hoist just for placing the SS onto its mobile base and then to find room to store it is a ludicrous idea. Of course, if you have many other planned uses of a hoist, that is an entirely different story and it may well be the prefect solution.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    This is how my neighbors have done their lifting on many heavy machines (not the SS).

To go buy a hoist just for placing the SS onto its mobile base and then to find room to store it is a ludicrous idea. Of course, if you have many other planned uses of a hoist, that is an entirely different story and it may well be the prefect solution.
    Storage space for the PRC fold-up crane (they're all made in the same factory) is about 2' x 3'. It is immensely useful for moving large pieces around in the shop, if you learn how to rig it and jig it. Much safer IMO than stringing a block and tackle from a rafter, because you know what the limits are.

Be safe, and never get under anything where _you_ are what's going to break its fall. That's a horrible way to go.

Doug

Patrick
    When I bought my Sawstop ICS about 8 years ago, I had to transport the pieces from Dallas to my home (about 150 miles) in my pickup. To assemble the saw, I first assembled the base and took all the other pieces into my shop. I rented a hoist from an equipment rental firm for $35 delivered and picked up from my house. I then hoisted the saw base with one wing attached out of the truck and onto the mobile base and rolled it into the shop. The whole operation took about 12 min. and I didn't have to figure out a place to store a purchased engine hoist.
    Tom

Definitely was over thinking it.

Dad came by and saw the base and said 'get over here'. We pushed it back on it's rear edge a good amount, slid base underneath and set it down slowly. Then lifted up on the front and pulled forward and done. Took 5 min. Did think we were going to over lean it and drop it, glad that didnt happen.

See, you could even do with two people. Glad to hear it went well.