Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth turning this blank with pith?

on dark woods like this I like to use weldwood plastic resin glue and mix it 50 /50 with sawdust from the project . Make it a little runny working it into the crack as you are doing this it will thicken and leave it a little high for shrinkage . It still gets hard as a rock.

Well done, Rob. Well done. Unless your going to use if for a soup bowl and you're sure it is stable, who cares about cracks!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Depending on the wood I try different things for clean cuts in dry wood:
    - Apply some sanding sealer and let dry, I like the shellac-based sealer but also have used the lacquer. I sometimes thin it even more.
    or
    - Mist the surface with water just before the cut. Softens the fibers and sometimes cuts cleaner. Won't' soak in enough to affect the wood inside.
    - Sharp, sharp, sharp and light cuts, of course. I like the Hunter Hercules or Osprey for such cuts but I'll also try sharp bowl gouges, usually a smaller one such as a 3/8".

JKJ
    Thanks for the tips. I totally forgot about it but I’ve done similar with oil- put a little linseed oil on to wet and soften the fibers.

Honestly it’s been forever since I twice turned a bowl. My last several have been NE bowls or burls turned thin and left to warp. I have a stack of roughed out bowls I need to get to.

Nice shape! Awesome job. Monkeypod is pretty stable, you'll be fine. Did you order pevas from Mark Stebbins? He makes good inlays and templates. Better than trying to learn how to make your own. They fit perfect......

It’s on the ‘to-do’ list. I have a template kit. I’m tempted to make my own but from a time perspective I probably just need to order some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Nice shape! Awesome job. Monkeypod is pretty stable, you'll be fine. Did you order pevas from Mark Stebbins? He makes good inlays and templates. Better than trying to learn how to make your own. They fit perfect......
    I just ordered a couple templates and some koa butterfly’s. I think the Hawaiian wood blanks need koa pewas 😎

For other projects I can make my own pewas.