Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't you just love Amazon tool ratings

Don't you just love Amazon tool ratings

Been looking at some Amazon ratings and questions concerning their pocket screw jigs and ended up buy a kit with 750 screws of various sizes. In my research I found this question concerning the screws.

2018-05-08_07-31-17.png

We may argue some on here but at least we get better answers on SMC.

Do you have any antidotes o tis subject to share?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Amazon will pester people who buy or review items with questions posted about the item. That's why sometimes you'll see some good-intentioned dialogues that go like this:

Q: Will this item work for my application?

A: Sorry, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    ROFLMAO

I should have expected that response...
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

I've occasionally looked up power tools on amazon.de (the German version) and used google translate to read those reviews.

Amazon.com reviews are usually like, "My dog/kid/husband ate the packaging and got sick! 1 star!" or "Didn't come with batteries!" (clearly says that in the description). Amazon.de reviews are usually like, "The lower extrusion looks insufficient for the forces that will be applied to this portion of the tool..."

I wish they would pester the vendor and manufacturer to provide accurate info.. But they often simply don't respond (or perhaps they don't get pestered...).. So it's up to us to report back when questions are asked.... But come on people.... Dumb answers are not useful... Just don't answer if you don't know....

for example - I was looking at buying a stick of tool steel. I asked a question about whether it comes with an alloy analysis.. That should be a fairly standard thing... I got back a bunch of dumb answers like "Why would anybody want that?..." Gee... Thanks... How about assuming that I want it because I do.... Does it have an analysis sticker or not?

I think you need to go with the majority.

The conflicting yes/no to a very specific question always fascinates me too.
    But seeing it written down did remind me of a character in The Vicar of Dibley.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRlqmTKyQx0

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I wish they would pester the vendor and manufacturer to provide accurate info.. But they often simply don't respond (or perhaps they don't get pestered...).. So it's up to us to report back when questions are asked.... But come on people.... Dumb answers are not useful... Just don't answer if you don't know....

for example - I was looking at buying a stick of tool steel. I asked a question about whether it comes with an alloy analysis.. That should be a fairly standard thing... I got back a bunch of dumb answers like "Why would anybody want that?..." Gee... Thanks... How about assuming that I want it because I do.... Does it have an analysis sticker or not?
    Maybe it wasn't such a dumb answer/question. You sound quite knowledgeable. I could see a person like myself, wanting to learn from knowing why you needed that information and how you would use it.
    The problem online is its difficult to know the tone in which the question was asked. It could have been a judgmental question or it could have been sincere.
    When in doubt, I try to give the other person the benefit of the doubt.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I think you need to go with the majority.
    +1 to this.
    There is a ton of research on the incredible accuracy of "crowd wisdom", but like actuarial science, the strength lies in the size of the sample group. So you will always find weird outlier examples and there might be noise from fake reviews, etc. But generally speaking, when you have thousands of reviews, the average mean ratings should be a good guideline.

The questions and answers are more dicey, but the ratings, where there a large number of responses, are a good resource.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    The conflicting yes/no to a very specific question always fascinates me too.
    But seeing it written down did remind me of a character in The Vicar of Dibley.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRlqmTKyQx0
    I loved that show. My mother-inlaw is British so she got me into watching the British comedies on PBS back in the early '80s
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

My favorite reviews are the 5 star ones that start out, ordered it yesterday, arrived today wow what service, packaging looks intact haven't opened it yet I give it 5 stars! My other issue is receiving a request from Amazon to review my purchase before I even receive it! That said my overall experience with Amazon is positive.
    Not to derail the thread but how about some of the bizarre pricing on Amazon. I just looked at an Irwin Marples 1/8" chisel. Amazon.com pricing ranged from $6.69 plus $6.49 shipping to $59.90 plus $12.12 shipping and Amazon.ca pricing ranged from $30.81 plus $4.95 shipping to $91.97 plus $5.54 shipping. A local bricks and mortar store KMS Tools has it in sale for $9.99 Cdn. Great pricing on Amazon sometimes but not always.

You should try sifting through reviews and comments on tech products. Sheesh. They range from just regular stupid like this:

Review: "One star, product was not new!!"

Description: "These were pulled from a working environment then individually tested."

On the other end there are some very special stupid people with complaints ranging from fax machines that don't work while turned off to wireless routers that don't work when they are half a mile away at the neighbor's house. My favorite printer for small/home offices has a 1-star review saying that she had her kids unbox it and plug it into power and she still can't print to it. While in another country. I mean it does say it supports internet printing, you just have to actually configure it.

You should see some of the support tickets my company gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    My favorite reviews are the 5 star ones that start out, ordered it yesterday, arrived today wow what service, packaging looks intact haven't opened it yet I give it 5 stars! My other issue is receiving a request from Amazon to review my purchase before I even receive it! That said my overall experience with Amazon is positive.
    Not to derail the thread but how about some of the bizarre pricing on Amazon. I just looked at an Irwin Marples 1/8" chisel. Amazon.com pricing ranged from $6.69 plus $6.49 shipping to $59.90 plus $12.12 shipping and Amazon.ca pricing ranged from $30.81 plus $4.95 shipping to $91.97 plus $5.54 shipping. A local bricks and mortar store KMS Tools has it in sale for $9.99 Cdn. Great pricing on Amazon sometimes but not always.
    Amazon rarely has the best price, but you pay for the convenience and excellent customer service. The pricing is also insane on many multi-packs. Sometimes it's a sly math test, like one for $2.59 and a two-pack for $5.59. Quite often I will see something that is $19.99 for one and a two-pack for $79.00. WTF?

For anyone who doesn't know...if you have the Amazon store credit account you get at least 5% off EVERYTHING all the time, and sometimes 10-15% on some items. And don't forget about Amazon Warehouse deals!! That's how I got my $430 HVLP kit for $340, combining warehouse deals and the credit discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    Best. Answer. Possible.

Can't improve on that!

-Tom