Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking to purchase a power washerv-- Gas or Electric??

Rent. don't have to store or maintain.

Its been a few years but I use to sell lawn equipment.
    At that time it was recommended you either filled the tank all the way to the top or drain the tank.
    I had an old Wheel Horse lawn tractor that was drained and put in storage for 11 years. Gassed it up and started first try.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I have a cheap tiny electric with low volume that I use a couple times a year for small things, so it's all I need. The convenience and size are more important than output for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Rent. don't have to store or maintain.
    This.

I can count on my thumbs the number of times I've had a big enough job to justify a gas power washer, the $70 HF electric is fine the rest of the time.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    At that time it was recommended you either filled the tank all the way to the top or drain the tank.
    This was also the recommendation for boats when ethanol came around. The logic being that it's hygroscopic AND goes bad faster, AND attacks everything. So if you have a full tank, there's no air space to allow humidity to be absorbed into the gas. I never followed that advice, but in AZ it's hard to go two weeks without using your boat year 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    This.

I can count on my thumbs the number of times I've had a big enough job to justify a gas power washer, the $70 HF electric is fine the rest of the time.
    I did the math and realized that by the time I go rent a big one, I could have just done the job with my cheap small one, which just takes a bit longer. I definitely would not own anything gas-powered if it gets used less than once a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I did the math and realized that by the time I go rent a big one, I could have just done the job with my cheap small one, which just takes a bit longer. I definitely would not own anything gas-powered if it gets used less than once a month or so.
    I probably should have rented a big one last year when GF's car puked transmission fluid all over the driveway: that job killed my previous (10-years-old) cheapie and gave me the opportunity to get a new one.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I probably should have rented a big one last year when GF's car puked transmission fluid all over the driveway: that job killed my previous (10-years-old) cheapie and gave me the opportunity to get a new one.
    Best part is that it's not YOUR FAULT you had to get a new tool!

Buy a cheap electric one.
    Rent the expensive gas one.

Electric usually only goes up to twelve to sixteen hundred PSI.
    Gas usually goes up to two or three thousand PSI.

Electric needs a round pattern to concentrate the output because of it somewhat low pressure.
    A gas spray pattern at high pressure digs in and blasts dirt and buildup crud/vegetation because of the higher pressure.

For either - water alone only does so much. For real stubborn stuff you need to add either chemical (soap/detergent/other) or mechanical (brush or broom) means to really clean.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Oh yeah, that reminds me, my cheap little washer has an adjustable nozzle. I've heard that some don't and you have to replace a tip to change patterns. But for the small jobs I do, I find adjustable to be a huge benefit. I've only used the soap bottle once, but do use the adjuster every time. (I apply soap manually, again, I just have small jobs here and there.)