Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase a power washerv-- Gas or Electric??

Looking to purchase a power washerv-- Gas or Electric??

I an in need of a power washer for cleaning a vinyl fence and vinyl siding as well as my deck. I would like a gas powered one but electric seems to be much less expensive and is easier to store because of its lighter weight and size. Gas would be better because of the limited availability of electric power outdoors.

Couple of things.....

What would you recommend gas or electric?

What are some good ones? I am keeping in mind that I am in my 70's so I not be using it for a long period of time but want one that is fairly durable.

Is a a used one a good alternative?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

i bought an electric one for two reasons. The first was the cost. Second, because if a gas engine is not used often and stored, I always have a problem cranking it when I try to use it again. Always, and I mean always had to take it to a small repair shop that would take several days to a few weeks to get back. When I want to work with a pressure washer, I want it to work now.
    Fortunately I have power and water close to anything I need to wash.
    Have you thought about renting one?
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

If you drain the gas tank, run the engine until the carb is out of gas they usually start without a lot of difficulty. Mine usually start on no more than three pulls. My snow blower, mower and tiller all start easily if this is done. The problem is the gas plugs the small passages in the carb. Also if you use pure gas, no ethanol, it also helps.

Thought about renting but renting for a day is almost half the cost of an electric.
    George

I have a gas one and my worker has an electric He likes my gas better as he can take it out to the field as he has a water tank that slides into the back of his truck. Also lot more power.

I've had both. The problem with the electrics is that they don't last. I don't know why, but they fail within a fairly short amount of use. I went through several electrics (different brands) before I bought a gas. The gas is also more powerful. I haven't had problems with the gas not starting after not using it for a while. I have the DeWalt with the Honda engine.

Mike

[I'll add that the reason I started with the electrics is because I didn't want the problems of a gas engine. But the 120V electrics just didn't hold up - and I use a very ample extension cord. They would work fine for a while but after some amount of use (I suppose some hours of use) they failed. After the first one failed, I guessed that it was just a problem with that one unit. I went on Amazon and bought the one with the best reviews. But after using it a certain number of hours, it failed just like the first one. So then, I bit the bullet and bought a DeWalt gas unit. I've had that one for several years now and have far exceeded the number of hours of use I got out of the electrics. The electrics were less expensive to purchase.

As others have said, I think if you get an electric with a powerful 240V motor you can get good life and performance from an electric. But they're expensive and 240V is not available everywhere.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-08-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a real electric and I like it better then gas. This is not a little lightweight universal motor version. problem is too small a cord and it will overheat. It is a Landa. They are the only company I know that make. good electric version. A power should not idle for more then a minute or two or the pump will overheat so you will be restarting the gas engine often.
    Bill D.

https://www.gamut.com/p/electric-pre...ating-MjkxMDA1

Ditto with Mike. I've had one of each. When we moved, I left the electric to the couple who bought our house and took the gas with us. We only use it occasionally but have had no problems getting it started. Since it's far more powerful than the electric, it cuts work time to a fraction.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have a real electric and I like it better then gas. This is not a little lightweight universal motor version. problem is too small a cord and it will overheat. It is a Landa. They are the only company I know that make. good electric version. A power should not idle for more then a minute or two or the pump will overheat so you will be restarting the gas engine often.
    Bill D.

$1,000 is not in the cards for me.
    George

If its anything like mine, it will sit for 10 months, get used for a 1/2 day and sit for another 6.

So its a no brainer: Rent one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D.

This. I built my own "real" electric one (5HP, 240V motor, triplex pump, belt-drive, everything safe for use with hot water, 2500 PSI @ 4GPM, etc). Really nice to be able to just press the green "Start" button on the contactor and have it instantly running with no starting, no gas, etc.

I don't think there are electric ones that run on 120V and get close to the types of performance specs you get from mid-grade gas units, though (~2500psi, ~4gpm). If you're fine with less power/ less water, the electric might be nice, but otherwise, you're going with gas or expensive/uncommon 240V electric units.

If you have the inclination, might be worth seeing if you can find a power washer pump and couple your own electric motor to it. I see car wash pumps on craigslist, occasionally.

I have a cheap tiny electric with low volume that I use a couple times a year for small things, so it's all I need. The convenience and size are more important than output for my needs.

A note on gasoline... You can buy pre-mixed white gas that is stable for at least two years, and won't clog up carbs. It's expensive per gallon, but if you use so little gas in power tools that you need this, then the cost is really nothing. I buy about one $6 can per year, so the cost is meaningless.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruSouth...5638/202532877

Draining tanks and carbs is a bad idea. Just use lots of stabil in your gas and roll with it. Doubling the dose doubles the storage life of the gas.

The most common failure point for pressure washers isn't the engine; it's the pump. Cheap gas 4-stroke motors are usually really good these days, much better than they used to be as they're all copies of the best motors from 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Draining tanks and carbs is a bad idea.
    Why? I have done this for many years, I am 71 and have done this since I got first mower over 40 yrs ago and have had zero issues.
    George

I have this one from Home Depot.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-...1600/205566079
    Glad I purchased it. Used it Sunday for 5 hrs to wash the deck, lawn chairs outdoor rugs etc....
    I also have a gas powered one. I don't use it any longer since I got the electric. I also thought gas would be better because you could use it anywhere. What I did not think of you still have to be connected to a garden hose for water. So having a cord is no more a problem than a garden hose.
    What I found out after I purchased the gas power unit was, Unless you buy one in the $700 or higher price range you will not get a good water pump. The water pumps on the $300 price range is only rated to last about 40 hrs.
    I know the electric pumps are no better but they cost $100 not $300

What ever you buy you must run pump saver after each use to keep the seals good and the pump from freezing in cold temperature.
    You see a ton of reviews that say. "PW work great last fall but wont work this spring" This is because the water in the pump froze and damaged the pump over the winter.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Draining carbs works fine. This is what I do with my dirt bikes, motorhome generator, etc etc to keep them from being a problem. It's just a pain to do with those items that I want to run for small bits of time randomly. I don't drain tanks, just use Stabil, and drain the carb to keep the jets from clogging.