Thread: Dabbling in dibbers

Dabbling in dibbers

A chap purchased a dibber (or if you prefer a dibbler) some time back and recently rang me to make a complaint. Naturally I was concerned as I feared it had somehow broken.

However, he complained that his friends kept borrowing his and were rather tardy in returning it so he wondered if I could make him another six.

Mission accomplished - everyone is happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Arnup View Post
    A chap purchased a dibber (or if you prefer a dibbler) some time back and recently rang me to make a complaint. Naturally I was concerned as I feared it had somehow broken.

However, he complained that his friends kept borrowing his and were rather tardy in returning it so he wondered if I could make him another six.

Mission accomplished - everyone is happy.
    Excellent! They look great. It looks like you do what I do - mark them off in inches.

I can't tell you how many of these "down to earth" tools I've made. Simple enough that some students here choose to make one as their first project. (The other girl in this picture made something a bit different...)

Girls_IMG_20150804_184250_898.jpg

I gave one to a friend once and when I visited years later she showed me where she kept it - in a place of honor on the mantel in the house!

JKJ

I always found them a bit difficult to push into my garden dirt, which may be too compact. I turned a hard maple mushroom for the handle/pusher, and used a piece of 1/2 inch rebar for the point, I did grind it down a bit and rounded the end. I can push that into pretty much any soil...

robo hippy