Thread: Recent Finds

Blog Entries

Recent Finds

A few items from about three different estate sales and an antique store:

Late May Findings.jpg

The spoke shave came from the antique store that wasn't open but the guy next door sometimes watches it for the owner. He even gave us a discount for what we bought. The spoke shave amazed me at how well it could take a shaving without even hitting the stones.

The chisel has an almost worn off UNION Hardware stamp on the socket. It cost a whole buck at a long established permanent floating estate sale. Has a bit of pitting, but that isn't a bother on this one.

The "Tire Service Gauge," the block plane and the mitre square, with fine adjustment at 45/135º & 90º, all came from the same estate sale.

BTW, the tire gauge seems to work quite well. Not bad for $2.

The calipers came from an estate sale that is on the road next to mine a couple of miles into the woods. There were a few machine tools, but the caliper was about the only thing to really want to come home with me.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-02-2018 at 7:17 PM. Reason: BTW
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You did well Jim...That chisel looks esp good!!!
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    You did well Jim...That chisel looks esp good!!!
    Thanks Jerry, It is getting harder to find things not already in my shop.

The chisel got a quick touch up today. Looks to be good steel. There are a few other UNION Hardware chisels and gouges in my accumulation. They have always seemed to be good stock.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I've found Union Hardware chisels to be very good chisels, maybe I've been lucky but whatever. It looks like a firmer that someone thought was a mortise chisel.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    .... It is getting harder to find things not already in my shop...
    Ain’t that the truth. Since I started to limit rust hunt purchases to things I would actually use and didn’t already have, very few things follow me home anymore.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Good finds! All of that looks pretty useful, especially that tire gauge!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I have two timber framing chisels. When you need one, nothing else will suffice.