Thread: Dove tail or tenon saw?

Dove tail or tenon saw?

If I was just going to have one which would be better? I am slowly trying to upgrade my shop but on a very low budget. One of the things I want next is a dove tail and a tenon saw. How ever I can not afford to get both right now so what in the mean time would be better to have for both operations until I can afford the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herd View Post
    If I was just going to have one which would be better? I am slowly trying to upgrade my shop but on a very low budget. One of the things I want next is a dove tail and a tenon saw. How ever I can not afford to get both right now so what in the mean time would be better to have for both operations until I can afford the other?
    I guess it depends most on the size of your projects. Tenon saw will be awkwardly large for most typical dovetails. Dovetail saw will only cut very small tenons. I guess the tenon saw counts as more versatile. HERE is a recent thread that discussed the trade offs.

If size is the only difference then I feel I may want a dove tail saw. I don't cut that big of tenons and if need be I can do those on the table saw.

I agree with your thought process. If you have a table saw to do larger tenons, go with the dovetail saw.

I would not recommend a tenon saw. For someone on a budget, I would recommend a sash saw which is 12 or 14 inches long and about a 13 point saw. Also a gents dovetail saw which has a turned handle, about 8 inches long, 15 point. If you look up "back saw" or "dovetail saw" or "gents saw", you can find these saws at reasonable prices, $15 to $25 a piece. You could also look for these saws at a flea market. In the long run you will want to learn to maintain saws.

I have won both the dovetail contest and the tenon sawing contest at the Handtool Olympics. In my own shop I use a sash saw which I purchased new for $4.50 in 1976 and a gents saw which I purchased in 1980 for $9.00. I have put an 18th century handle on the sash saw.

Adam, do you already own a saw in between the dovetail and tenon sizes? I find my tenon saw (as Warren advises) awkward for most things.

You might consider Japanese saws. I use a large Ryoba where many might use a tenon saw, and a Dozuki instead of a dovetail saw. I prefer it's easy start, find it delicate yet efficient, and appreciate the ability to cut in a variety of orientations with it.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-08-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Do you already have a carcass saw? A carcass saw, if filed to 15tpi, is perfectly capable at doing dovetails. So if you have a carcass saw, but had a need for large tenons, then I would get a tenon saw. If you don't have a carcass saw, then I would get a carcass saw first because it can do both dovetails and small/medium tenons (although not as sexy, but the result will be fine). Truth be told, I use mostly two carcass saws; one is 15tpi xcut and the other is 15tpi rip and I use the rip for all my dovetails (but I used to use the xcut for dovetails and the difference wasn't much).

My Vote also goes to the Dozuki, perfect for dovetails and smaller tenons works alot better then any push saw i tried for me personally, though i try to avoid any paring on my Dovetails/tenons aiming for a good joint right of the saw.

Of course you can cut Dovetails or small tenons with jsut about any saw, Framesaw, Panelsaw etc. they all work a smaller saw is just more convenient and easier to use.

Back when i was in the same Situation the reason i ultimately decided against a Dovetail saw was that they are just too limited in depth of cut, making them only really useable for Dovetails and nothing else.
    Last edited by Philipp Jaindl; 05-08-2018 at 2:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    I see absolutely no reason not to have one of each.
    I think I will order a Dozuki.

I found myself in a similar situation last year. I bought the Veritas carcass saw (5T07.05) It's a 12 pt. rip saw, the plate is about 11" long and 2" high. It has cut all the joinery I have done since I got it, and I haven't run into a situation where I needed a larger saw.

Before that, I used a Dozuki-style saw from Lowes that cost me all of about $13. It was a great saw, but my brain couldn't adjust to cutting on the pull stroke.

Have had a Disston No.4, 14" long, 11 ppi filed rip for a few years.....seems to be the go-to joinery saw in the shop.

Lowell, I switched to the Japanese style pull saws about 4 years ago and never looked back. Yea there's a shallow learning curve but once I got past that it was easy. I think the key is a vary light touch and no pressure on the blade. Good luck