Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any use for pallet wood?

Blog Entries

Question Any use for pallet wood?

I drove by a facility today that had a sign outside saying "free pallets". Anyone ever use any pallet wood?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    It's good wood for some things that don't require new s4s wood. I would pick up 3 or 4 and take them apart and throw away the bad stuff and nails.
    I've used pallets before.

I've also used pallet wood in the past. They do take some work to take apart and you'll need to work around the nail holes, but you can sometimes find some exotic woods.

Blog Entries
    Much of the are Oak. A relative of my son-in-law planes them down and makes doll houses/furiture.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information. I make a lot of toys, maybe I'll be able to use them.
    Dennis

I would only use them if I knew exactly the history and what was on them or how they were treated.

Personally, I would never use them for toys.

Pallets are good for moving heavy stuff with a fork lift. Pallets are very low grade poorly dried wood that's sometimes treated with insecticide. The worst part is all the dirt and rocks that they collect.
    Aj

They can be a good source for craft wood as long as you are willing to deal with the nails, dirt, etc., that is part of the package. Some folks have found pallets that originated in other parts of the world to sometimes be made of what "we" consider exotics. What you want to use the wood for is of consideration...size comes into play as does whether or not nail holes will work or not. Some folks use them as inexpensive wood to make and sell rustic signs, for example, and the end result is pretty nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    ... Anyone ever use any pallet wood? ...
    Bob Taylor is another guy who has: Pallet Guitar

I guess it depends on how motivated you are! (Make a bet recently?)

Pallets and other shipping wood for international shipments must be treated to avoid importing insects. They can be treated either chemically or heat treated. Look for the letters HT on the wood to indicate it has been heat treated, then it should be safe for use.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Pallets and other shipping wood for international shipments must be treated to avoid importing insects. They can be treated either chemically or heat treated. Look for the letters HT on the wood to indicate it has been heat treated, then it should be safe for use.
    Good first step. But I would also be concerned with what was transported on them. Leaking chemicals transported on a pallet would make the wood bad for toys and some other usages. Make sure they are not used for anything toxic. But there in lies the problem; you never know their full history. About all you can do is eyeball them.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Good first step. But I would also be concerned with what was transported on them. Leaking chemicals transported on a pallet would make the wood bad for toys and some other usages. Make sure they are not used for anything toxic. But there in lies the problem; you never know their full history. About all you can do is eyeball them.
    Marshall
    Good information, I guess I'll pass on them
    Thanks
    Dennis

I've seen some photos of small furniture made of wood from pallets. They were end tables and coffee tables. With a little creativity, they were pretty.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

One good thing you can depend on: you know it has not been judged "unpalatable ".

The potential for creating dust even more hazardous than usual when cutting or machining pallet wood is enough of a deterrent for me. But even if you're pretty sure the wood is safe, just getting them apart with minimal destruction is a real hassle if the nails have rusted even a little.

As many laws about hazardous waste as there are, it's surprising that there isn't a law about marking any chemically treated pallets as they're created with clear indicators.