Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My tunnel visioned dog

Huh, I wasn't aware. Thank you for telling me.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

We sort of have 3 dogs. The wife and I have a Golden Retriever. But my son has a mixed bull dog/terrier and my daughter's dog is a mutt that looks like a large brown rat (I love her though) and often stays with us for a few days at a time.

Someone comes to the door or the fence and our dogs bark at them but my daughters dog just barks and nips at our dogs when someone is at the door. When that happens my golden has learned to go raid the other dog's food bowls while they are distracted at the door.

As for laser pointers and OCD etc., my daughters' dog loves to chase the red dot and when it goes away she will sit for hours in the spot where it vanished just waiting for it to show up again. We had to stop using it with her. The other dogs and the cat just ignore it.

With a little training my daughter's dog could be come a world class frisbee dog. She loves chasing and catching it and will do so until she wears herself out.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Your daughter's dog and our dog have that in common. Looks like a rat with rotweiller markings and when you say playtime is over, or stop throwing the ball, you just get an error message followed by a "does not compute" retort. If you take too long to acknowledge her existence, she grabs her favorite pink forever bone, and runs full force at whatever part of your body she can access, and uses her head like a big horned sheep defending its turf. She's kinda cute in a slightly ugly and really neurotic kinda way i guess
    I'm speculating, of course, my dog talk is rusty.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    As for laser pointers and OCD etc., my daughters' dog loves to chase the red dot and when it goes away she will sit for hours in the spot where it vanished just waiting for it to show up again. We had to stop using it with her.

I'm glad you did, that's the exact sign of the potential worse damage. Some dogs know it's a game, some get obsessed with the idea that a thing exists in their world that they cannot catch. Our current two know that the dot comes from this little stick, and will in fact bite the pointer or bring it to you sometimes. One of our previous dogs had no idea and would obsess over that. Our dogs also go nuts over reflections in the morning. We keep the doors open most winter when the weather is great and they love to chase accidental reflections from our watches and phones.