Thread: Sealacell blotch?

Sealacell blotch?

On walnut, I typically use watco and grain fill via wet sanding. Thought I’d try a different approach. I sanded this piece to 220, applied two applications of Wunderfil walnut grain filler, sanded again to 220 and then applied GF Sealacell. Seems to get a bit of blotch. Never had that happen with walnut before. Is it the GF, or the grain filler, or something else I did? This is the underside of the piece, so I can go back to my normal routine, but just curious.
    Thanks!

7648198F-7689-447B-B0EA-816EAB794843.jpg

Try it on some unfilled walnut, then you'll know if it was due to the grain filler or the Seal-A-Cell. I've had blotching using most any oil on blotch prone wood. Usually it's a lot less noticeable after the oil has dried out for a few days.

John

Thanks John. It has become less apparent now after 24 hours. I expect and plan for some blotch on pine & cherry, just haven’t experienced it with walnut. After a few other test boards, I think it’s actually the piece of walnut. It probably has a bit more soft wood in it than I anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks John. It has become less apparent now after 24 hours. I expect and plan for some blotch on pine & cherry, just haven’t experienced it with walnut. After a few other test boards, I think it’s actually the piece of walnut. It probably has a bit more soft wood in it than I anticipated.
    If you want to use the piece you could seal before filling. I almost always do so as I find that it helps the filler stay "up" in the pores.