Thread: Derek Cohen what have you done? I'm thinking LV needs to put this together as a kit.

Derek Cohen what have you done? I'm thinking LV needs to put this together as a kit.

Next up? Getting it all setup and working with existing wolverine system. I have the wolverine adapter on special order at Lee Valley but I think I'll just put it to the side for now.

IMG_2073.jpgIMG_2074.jpgIMG_2075.jpgIMG_2076.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shane MacMillan View Post
    Next up? Getting it all setup and working with existing wolverine system. I have the wolverine adapter on special order at Lee Valley but I think I'll just put it to the side for now.
    I don't know if this is what you have in mind. I've been using the Tormek support bar and jigs since way before Tormek offered the bar and mount as an accessory - I ordered one as a replacement part and made a support for it from wood with Wolverine lever. The Wolverine base is mounted under the wheel so I can use either. (I mostly sharpen lathe tools.)

tormek_B.jpg Tormek_CBN.jpg

I use a 600 grit CBN wheel on that grinder now so I might make another support for a coarser wheel for reshaping tools. BTW, I like a 2" wide 1200 grit wheel on the Tormek.

JKJ

Neat, I like how you undercut the support arm to support the wolverine cam lever. I was thinking of moving the cam lever to the back position and see how it works. I tested it with my other wolverine attachments and it seems to work pretty well. I need to leave the wolverine parts for my wife who does the turning. I'm looking to add the Tormek setup to redo the bevels on my planes and chisels following Dereks ultimate guide to sharpening. #1 rule is don't mess up her turning setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane MacMillan View Post
    ... #1 rule is don't mess up her turning setup.
    Life is good if the bride is happy! That sounds like perfect justification for adding another grinder.

JKJ

I might be a bit silly here, but I can definitely picture Derek doing an endorsement deal with Lee Valley.

It'd be like....is that David Hasselhoff? No, but he's very handy with a plane...and pediatric clinical psychologist to boot!

Finally got it installed. I need to work at it a bit more to square it up both vertically and horizontally. First cut is very promising but a bit out of square still.

IMG_2144.jpgIMG_2145.JPG

I suggest the wheel be turned around so the flat side is out. The reason I did that was if the chisel has parallel sides I can lay it on the side of the wheel and that squares it perfectly to the grinding face and there is no need to use a square when setting up.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

As Chris recommends, I have the flat side facing outward. This can be used to flatten the backs of blades.

Also, spend the time to adjust the Tormek guides and blade holder. All I need do is push the blade against the fence inside the blade holder, and it is then square to the wheel. I do not need to adjust it square outside the blade holder, such as to the side of the wheel. This makes set up incredibly quick and easy: slide the blade into the holder, pull it square against the fence, tighten, adjust the projection for grind angle with the Tormek angle setter. Done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-20-2018 at 5:14 AM.

The lee valley wheel does not have a wide flat side. The side is machined though and I have been using it with my square against the guide bar to get it lined up horizontally and vertically. My first install I had the support brackets too close to the outside and couldn't get the guide bar close enough to the wheel to get the 25 degree grind. I moved the bracket deeper and have had better luck now.