Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Euro slider vs cabinet saw

Applications vary of course and ripping on the sliding table is definitely limited by the table stroke but maybe not. Felder sell a guide which slides in the table slot to do this.....

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

id like to see the next steps when its ripped to widths and how it behaves. putting wood down on the floor? then walking on it?

Chris, now I can straight line 16' with that Felder slider, slider ��

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    id like to see the next steps when its ripped to widths and how it behaves. putting wood down on the floor? then walking on it?
    I’m also curious about this, many comment about how a jointer is no longer needed for edges but I’m curious as to how that is possible without the wood moving as I expect it would.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I doubt the results would be perfection but trying to rip 10' lengths on a cabinet saw would be about the same or worse and a sight more dangerous.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Air to slider - Steve (Extreme Woodworking) mentions in a video on his scoring blade that he didn’t have it on as the compressor was off. Do I need compressed air to the center of shop in my design? I can’t find anything from Felder brochure about air, just mechanical scoring blade w a belt.

thx once again.
    I am a huge fan of Mac's air clamps on a slider. I would for sure plan on air to the slider location. Youtube videos on Mac's clamps.

Jim makes reference to a sliding table that can mount to a existing slider table (locking into the slider's miter slot so to speak) to increase depth of cut. Any links to this table or a home made version ? I don't often do 8' rips from sheet stock but it is sometimes a necessity, I'd like to move away from the track saws completely in the shop.

My slider is a Felder K700SP with a 126" table. To do rips longer than the slider you need to use 2 parallel guides. The parallel guides aren't cheap but in my world worth their cost. Its not difficult and you don't need a sled which can reduce the depth of your cut. The principle is the same as a fence of the slider but much more versatile. The cuts usually take 2 passes and are virtually perfect with no gaps and ready for glueup. I don't have a pic of the setup but will take one if there is any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    My slider is a Felder K700SP with a 126" table. To do rips longer than the slider you need to use 2 parallel guides. The parallel guides aren't cheap but in my world worth their cost. Its not difficult and you don't need a sled which can reduce the depth of your cut. The principle is the same as a fence of the slider but much more versatile. The cuts usually take 2 passes and are virtually perfect with no gaps and ready for glueup. I don't have a pic of the setup but will take one if there is any interest.
    I’d love to see both some pics and a link if you can find one. Thx for posting.

Jon I will try and take some pics today hopefully depending on how the job I'm currently working goes. If you want a link to some parallel guides you can check Felder E-Shop or take a look at another SMC members site, Brian Lamb. He can custom make for any machine. No connection to Brian just we are also members on the original FOG.

http://www.lambtoolworks.com/products.html

Thx Jim I’m rounding third in designing my shop and now wth this new potential idea curve balls are coming from everywhere.

Jointer - could this be replaced w a slider completely? Right now it’s occupying a prime spot next to table saws in center cluster. If I don’t completely ditch it (I still see some functionality with lutherie) I could maybe put it on wheels on a side wall.

Sliding CMS -the Makita is right now my favorite tool in shop. I really don’t see giving it up, esp for all of the compound miter cuts in boat building, but maybe I don’t need an entire wall with a SCM station anymore?

Shaper - I just received an email from my local Felder rep with promotional pricing for saws plus saw/shaper combos. Having now had a sip of the koolaid I could be going deep under. How many of you are using the shaper combo and feedback?

Air to slider - Steve (Extreme Woodworking) mentions in a video on his scoring blade that he didn’t have it on as the compressor was off. Do I need compressed air to the center of shop in my design? I can’t find anything from Felder brochure about air, just mechanical scoring blade w a belt.

thx once again.
    Hi, the scoring saw does not need compressed air. Felder sells saws with mechanical scoring (My Hammer B3 for example) and saws with electric scoring (an additional motor).

I love having the shaper in the saw as it really saves me space and gives me a sliding table, tilting spindle shaper for very little incremental expenditure. I have both the 1 1/4" and 30mm spindle for my shaper, that allows me to use metric tooling which often is available at lower prices as most of the tooling in the world is metric.

I also of course have the feeder on a flip up bracket, which allows me to use it for the saw or shaper. I would suggest that you buy the optional longer arm on the feeder if you want to use for the saw.......Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Applications vary of course and ripping on the sliding table is definitely limited by the table stroke but maybe not. Felder sell a guide which slides in the table slot to do this.....

I have that for my short stroke slider, it's a 3 X 1 metre section of T molding, part number 500-110.............Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 05-08-2018 at 8:27 AM.

Thanks for all the great info Jim. I clearly need sleep as in focusing on the edge I forgot about the face.

How do other tools such as your router table or maybe my extra cabinet saw fit around a slider? It looks like from the videos and catalogs there is room for something level with the extension table of the slider on the opposite side (which could use that same table as it’s own outfeed). Planning ductwork spots under floor right now.
    I have a thread here on SMC that details how I added the BenchDog setup to my slider as a "poor man's shaper". It should be helpful to you understanding how you can accommodate grouping with other tools, such as your additional saw. It's really a matter of height matching and making sure anything on the alternative/extra tool doesn't interfere with the slider's wagon or stick up and interfere with material movement for any tool(s) you have in the group.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I’m also curious about this, many comment about how a jointer is no longer needed for edges but I’m curious as to how that is possible without the wood moving as I expect it would.
    Although it's not a sure thing, most of the time where a piece comes off where the edge moves, it's been on the off-cut side for me. Not always, of course. And if I have material that's clearly wanting to bend after a cut releases tension, I'll cut proud and then quickly re-cut the edge. And finally...I will go to the jointer if it's necessary. I just don't find it necessary very often when I have flat material on the wagon for the rip cuts which are perpendicular to the faces by nature and smooth because the material is clamped down.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim! This sounds like I was imagining, it sounds like it cuts down significantly on edge jointing, especially of wide panels.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.