Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro slider vs cabinet saw

Euro slider vs cabinet saw

I’ve posted here a lot about planning my new workshop. Up until now I have been thinking about getting a SawStop to add to my old PM66 in a central tool cluster w jointer. I build whitewater dories plus furniture, guitars and mandolins, and am thinking it would be nice to have both a rip and dado setup. There is lots of dado work for the boat framing and decking.

My sheet work is mainly 1/4” - 1/2” Meranti and I can get by with a track saw for that if I’m alone. I’ve built a few armoires and a china cabinet using some sheet goods, and will be building my new shop cabinets and miter saw station, hopefully soon. Space is not too much of a concern in new shop.

So ironically, since I’ve just been reading the SMC Blessing or Curse thread, I’ve recently gotten interested here about sliders. I’ve heard of them but never really considered I might “need” one.

Having watched about 20 YouTube videos and read a string of searches here I’m just barely up the road in understanding these. It seems the main players are Felder, Minimax, and Hammer (by Felder).
    I’m totally lost when considering the many accessories and options.

Can others who’ve been down this path share their thoughts, including why or why not I need a slider and if so, which one.

Thx much. Jon

I started WW'ing with my dad when I was 8 years old, on an old Craftsman table saw. For a wedding present after college I was given a 1970s Unisaw with a Biesemeyer fence. I used that until 1990 when I upgraded to a new PM66. Loved that saw until I traded up to a new Sawstop ICS in 2005. In 2009 I traded up again to a Felder 700 Series saw/shaper. I used to bash the Euro slider folks on this forum and then I tried one. Here is what a slider did for me instantly.
    1) If you clamp stock to the slider the edge from a cut is as perfect as if off a jointer, really it is. I ordered my saw with a scoring blade and in 7 years I've never even set it up. Perfect edge perfectly straight.
    2) It's pretty easy to get the crosscut fence on the slider adjusted for perfect square. With the slider every part I cut that is under 9ft long is perfectly square.
    I struggled learning to use the slider as a cabinet saw replacement.
    1) I found that great clamps on the slider gives you amazing results.
    2) I love the parallel cutting jig for the slider. I now rip most things with the slide and not with the fence like you would on a cabinet saw. I can still rip the traditional way but I like perfection and with the parallel cutting jig.
    There is a guy who has a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to use a slider. I'd recommend watching them all before you make a decision.

The Sawstop taught me that not all guards are in the saw, and a riving knife and guard that mounts to the riving knife are great. After using the Sawstop for several years I learned to always use the guard when possible. I now never cut without the guard unless it's not possible any other way.

3. A very good slider is the Martin T 70. High dollar but worth it. .www.martinwoodworkingmachines.com .cost is in the $30,000.00 range .

If you do any architectural precision woodworking the Martin T 70 will do the job .

Go to the website , very good video of the saw. The video will help you in deciding why sliders are best for high end precision woodworking.

The best recommendation I can give is that I have never heard anyone regret buying a slider. The best part is learning how to use it and saying to ones self, why didn't I buy this years ago. Even some neanderthal hand tool guys like them!
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

If you have the room and the money it is a nobrainer. I don't have one.

With a shorter table a small slider such as the K3 Hammer does not take up any more room than a cabinet saw and if the cab saw has a 52" fence the slider is smaller.
    Chris

One thing that's important to note right up front is that sliders are not just for sheet goods. Yes, they excel at that application, but they also do great (and repeatable) work with solid stock, too.

Whether you "need" on is a matter of personal choice or inclination. I will say very clearly, that I'd never want to go back to a cabinet saw if I have the choice, even if I had to downsize to a much smaller slider in the future for some reason or another. I love the format, the precision, the repeatability and like that even with all of that, the majority of cuts don't have any of my body parts anywhere near the blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    If you have the room and the money it is a nobrainer. I don't have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One thing that's important to note right up front is that sliders are not just for sheet goods. Yes, they excel at that application, but they also do great (and repeatable) work with solid stock, too.
    I have the space, I have the money, and I don't have one. The reason being there are better options for sheet stock if you're processing material manually.

If I could only have one saw, I would have a slider though. Just tossing out a different view point.

I have kicked around getting a short stroke slider, or a rolling top, for cross cutting wider drawer parts.

Slider!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I have the space, I have the money, and I don't have one. The reason being there are better options for sheet stock if you're processing material manually.

If I could only have one saw, I would have a slider though. Just tossing out a different view point.
    Absolutely! A vertical panel saw would be a lot better in a one person workshop I would think as it would be easier to load and it can cut on both axis.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Absolutely! A vertical panel saw would be a lot better in a one person workshop I would think as it would be easier to load and it can cut on both axis.
    And that's why we've got a Striebig.

Even in a shop with a bunch of people, it's tough to beat on sheets. Plus you can gang cut at least a couple of parts at once.

Not overly useful for everything else though.

No brainer

I have used a few times a slider saws and read a lot about them... they are better than traditional cabinet saws for almost all, with important exceptions the size and price. I have no space for one of those toys in my tiny workshop to replace my contractor saw and I am not sure if I would have the courage to put the money to purchase one of them... please be aware, as most of the stuff, there are cheap versions also for slider saws and they are an invitation for headache... look for a decent slider saw (and unfortunately it will come at a price).

All the best.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 05-07-2018 at 7:22 AM. Reason: typo error, as usual...

Jon, having gone from a cabinet saw to a short stroke slider ( I have the Hammer B3 Winner with 49" stroke), I would never go back to a cabinet saw.

Accuracy, capacity, safety exceed that of a cabinet saw................Regards, rod.

I'm not in the market for a slider as they are out of my price range. Though they do look like a great alternative to a cabinet saw.

My biggest issue with them and the Eureka Zone EZ-1 which I strongly considered is that they are so different from what we are used to. There are literally hundreds of books and videos on every technique or jig for doing anything on a more conventional saw. Not to mention all of the after market accessories. With the EZ-1 or a slider it seems to me that I would have to lear everything all over. Having to experiment or learn something new seems like a waste of time and somewhat dangerous.

Maybe one of the slider owners could address this issue as well as how steep the learning curve really is or isn't.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.