Thread: looking for ideas/help in cutting a log

looking for ideas/help in cutting a log

IMG_5180.jpg this is a crude picture i would like to cut a quarter out of the log so that it can be mounted on the wall and give the appearance of being a structural post. Has any one done some thing similar? has any one got any ideas about how to cut a log truly so that it would fit snugly and be straight and plumb when installed. Currently i am thinking about putting a template on each end and running a chalk like and then cutting inside the line by a half inch or so with a skill saw and then deeper with a chain saw. the sneaking up on the lines with a power planer. any discussion/help is welcome

Quote Originally Posted by John Christian View Post
    IMG_5180.jpg this is a crude picture i would like to cut a quarter out of the log so that it can be mounted on the wall and give the appearance of being a structural post. Has any one done some thing similar? has any one got any ideas about how to cut a log truly so that it would fit snugly and be straight and plumb when installed. Currently i am thinking about putting a template on each end and running a chalk like and then cutting inside the line by a half inch or so with a skill saw and then deeper with a chain saw. the sneaking up on the lines with a power planer. any discussion/help is welcome
    We've done that a few times with only the chainsaw. Use a level to lay out the cut on both ends and snap your chalk lines and just chainsaw the whole thing.

I wouldn’t think the angle needs to be an exact match. If you undercut (?) it the edges will touch the wall and be pretty easy to fine tune the fit with a hand plane.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Rather than using a chalk line I would screw a straight board to the log following the line you want to cut, then run the chainsaw bar along the edge. It won't be perfect, but easier to follow than a chalk line for me, anyway.

75D889DE-31A3-42BD-A815-2F236A9293AC.jpg

Try Googling for a saw mill guy with a “Lucas Swing Mill”. You can google the mill and see how it works on the video’s you find.

It’s bascally a large circular saw on a tram.

78A1552C-C76B-4A04-BB91-3DF180DAD914.jpg

I have seen quite a few logs turned into benches like that. Try searching for how to make bench from a log there is probably good info out there.
    Bill D

A swing blade sawmill will make that cut in a heartbeat. Look for someone local with either a Lucas, Peterson, or Mobile Dimension sawmill.

You don't say how large the log is. I've done this by making a frame over the log and letting the Beam Circular saw ride the frame making the cut. Funny, I tried to submit this post and it came up telling me it needs to be 10 characters longer. Well, here they are.

Two cuts on a band saw mill followed by some glue....................Regards, Rod.