Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coring system for PM 3520

Success! Tried on an 11” Milo bowl. Not huge but hard to come by.
    Outside bowl calabash style bowl. Cored an 8” bowl out of the middle as a bonus. I gave myself lots of wiggle room.
    Used the laser jig I saw in the video above. I really don’t think it would have been any quicker just to hollow it the regular way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Price; 05-11-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    Where did I put that?

How many knives did you get. I assume that's the 9" in your picture. I think the 13 1/4" would make a nice compliment that would allow you 2" thick wall on the middle bowl that would give you plenty to reshape it.

I bought the smaller two sizes. I’ll orobably get the third at some point.

Kyle, I frequently use the straight blades for either plates or taking the front off a bowl blank to make a lid for the bowl.
    A matching plate set has proven popular...
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

With the OneWay easy core system there is a much easier setup method than what Mike Guyre shows in the video.
    On the back side of each of my knives I’ve written down what I refer to as the zero measurement for each knife.
    This is the measurement from the outside tip of the cutter to the inside face of the knife baseplate when the tip of the knife is aligned with the Center point of the lathe spindle.
    With your knives marked as such you can now draw a registration line on your lathe bed that is in line with the outside face of the jaws on the chuck you will be using for coring your bowl block.
    If you want the bottom of your cored out bowl to be 1” thick simply add this to the zero measurement written on your knife, then from the line drawn on your lathe bed set the knife baseplate this accumulated distance back from the line.

If you are looking to get multiple roughout cores from a block, first setup the largest cutter using this method. Now without moving the baseplate install your smallest knife, set up its corresponding support finger and take out the smallest core. Then again without moving the baseplate install the next largest knife and its corresponding support finger and remove that core, continue on to the next knife once again without moving the baseplate.

It’s just that easy.
    Last edited by John Spitters; 05-15-2018 at 3:04 PM.