Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old iron found for handtool shop

old iron found for handtool shop

I posted this on the SMC Power Tool section in that it was about some old iron I acquired recently (a vintage bandsaw with some limited resaw capacity).To be used to rough down stock to manageable size before using the hand tools.But I will return to my roots and show/ask your advice...My concern is how to clean and get it back to reasonable appearance and usage...I imagine i can just clean the housing etc with the same approach I'd use to clean a vintage handplane i.e., remove grease, WD-40, steel wool, high grit sandpaper etc..and lots of patience and soft cloths...Your suggestions will help... Here are the pics of the "beast"

2018-05-04 15.44.09.jpg2018-05-04 15.44.54.jpg2018-05-04 15.47.01.jpg

My other SMC thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?264584-Delta-Milwaukke-Rockwell-Homecraft-10-quot-Bandsaw.. Thanks, guys.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good deal Jerry.

My current bandsaw replaced a small one like yours. Your motor looks to be a vintage model from ~1950. One of mine like that went south. It had a Mfg date of 1949 on the plate. It was replaced with an old washing machine motor my dad scrapped back in the day. Used to have a lot of those, but over the years all but one have been put into service. Well, at least from my stash. One or another of my brother's likely has a few more they are sitting on.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Looking at your original post and taking two men to move it.

My father taught me quite a few tricks about moving heavy loads without help.

My last test of his handed down knowledge enabled me to put together my new bandsaw by myself even though the top half was more than could be lifted by me alone.

Planning ahead and a couple of good strong saw benches to the rescue.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-05-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added by myself
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My Dad taught me the principle of leverage and how you could move almost anything with proper leverage...When I built my first cabin, I was usually alone but managed to lift heavy items with a long 2X4 or a crowbar and a little thinking/planning..we remember the tricks our fathers taught us.

I was planning to build a new base for this saw but discovered when I got in home, the former owner had built/welded a solid steel base with welded bars etc. It will take a bit of removing old paint and repainting but it appears sturdy and sound...The things we guys enjoy!!! The adventure continue.

PS I could have easily bought a tabletop Band saw new for About $150-200 but those plastic parts scared me away and resaw capacity is about 3 1/2"
    This will take some effort but the results will be worth it I trust...The cast iron top alone convinced me although the label on the motor (barely readable) now shows its only 1/4 Hp. Oh well.
    Jerry

The manual for your saw is over at OWWM. They are decent small bandsaws. I have two of them and found that they work well with a 3/4 Hp. motor.No real need for more. The weak link IMHO is that tension assembly. Treat it kindly and don't try to over tighten the blade. It will bend and crack.Be careful, bandsaws can multiply very quickly.

Jerry, I would not worry about the motor. If it runs well just use it to see how it works. I'm not sure how they rated horse power on those old motors. It seems to be suspect to me. I've had old and new equipment over the years and the older stuff works just fine. I've have an older grinder with a Baldor 1/4 horse motor ie and have used newer grinders rated at 1 horse and don't see any difference at all. Clean it up put oil where it needs to be and grease where it needs to be a sharp blade and go for it.
    Jim

Is it possible: lead based old paint?

A new worry: I gathered my materials for removing the old paint on the iron base: wire brush, sandpaper etc and then did a brief test run today on the iron legs.. The good news was the paint came off quickly/easily using a small wirewheel in an electric drill...BUT, the thought struck me later: could this be lead based paint considering the age of the saw? Am I overreacting or should I just do the removal outside and wear a dustmask? I won't plunge in until I hear your thoughts/advice..thanks
    Jerry

Jerry,

There are websites dedicated to older woodworking power tools. One is VintageMachinery.org, and there are others. There is an article, published within the last 3 years or so on "Old Arn" or something like that on restoring vintage woodworking power tools. It was in either Fine Woodworking or Popular Woodworking. The article was excellent, and it listed sites.

Concerning the paint, given the appearance of the age it could definitely contain lead based paint.

Jerry, I just looked on the net, it is the October2016 edition of Popular Woodworking.

There is a short section from the article on the net I think if you search "Old Arn Vintage Machinery" it will show up. The insert will not help much, you need the original article. After seeing the article in my Younger Son-in-laws magazine, I bought a copy on that auction site just so I could have a copy and the article. A superb article, and the reference to a site or two are excellent. It is worth buying the magazine for that one article.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-07-2018 at 12:30 AM.

I dont know anything about lead based paint Jerry. But that's a neat little saw, especially for $40. I never knew their was a affiliation between Delta and Milwaukee (until now). Look forward to the "after" pictures!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jerry,

There are websites dedicated to older woodworking power tools. One is VintageMachinery.org, and there are others. There is an article, published within the last 3 years or so on "Old Arn" or something like that on restoring vintage woodworking power tools. It was in either Fine Woodworking or Popular Woodworking. The article was excellent, and it listed sites.

Concerning the paint, given the appearance of the age it could definitely contain lead based paint.

Jerry, I just looked on the net, it is the October2016 edition of Popular Woodworking.

There is a short section from the article on the net I think if you search "Old Arn Vintage Machinery" it will show up. The insert will not help much, you need the original article. After seeing the article in my Younger Son-in-laws magazine, I bought a copy on that auction site just so I could have a copy and the article. A superb article, and the reference to a site or two are excellent. It is worth buying the magazine for that one article.

Stew

Stew, agree..Just ordered the download this morning from PW....Will read later today...Thanks valuable tip !!!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I dont know anything about lead based paint Jerry. But that's a neat little saw, especially for $40. I never knew their was a affiliation between Delta and Milwaukee (until now). Look forward to the "after" pictures!

Fred
    Actually, as far as I know, there never has been an affiliation between the current Milwaukee power tool company (now owned by Techtronic along with Ryobi and AEG) and Delta/Milwaukee (now owned by Chang Type Industrial; and formerly by Rockwell, Pentair, and Stanley B&D), they just both had "Milwaukee" in their name

Hi Jerry,

I'm with Fred, am looking forward to seeing the "after" and reading your update and hope to learn from your experience. I do hope the article will be of use.

I bought my copy in hopes of restoring some old power tools, I don't expect or plan to have many but a drill press, and band saw look to be likely tools to find and restore.

Good luck and great success on the project!

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-07-2018 at 11:36 PM.

There's more "work" involved than I originally thought...The "honey do" list continues to keep me occupied...But I am looking forward to plunging in.... The saw works fine as is..Already tested....Don't plan to do much rehab...Plan to get a mobile base also to start..(to make it easier to work on).....Thanks for your ideas. i"ll try to update as we go along...
    Jerry

Brief quick update: Acquired a mobile base and adjusted to size...Cleaned, scraped, wire brushed old paint off base outdoors (wearing a mask), then lacquer thinner followed by primer..then applied top coat..Next step, move the beast into the basement after drying/curing...
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    I would replace or at least rework that base. From your photos, it looks like the center of gravity is over hanging the base which will make the saw tip easily. I have a bench model drill press and jointer from the same era. They are solid tools once you get them cleaned up and refurbished.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute