Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawmill Creek. Blessing or curse?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've been reading about memetics lately. SMC could comprise the basis for a post-doctoral thesis.
    It's funny you say that John. I used to frequent SMC's predecessor, Badger Pond. I was new to the internet and new to online forums. And I just couldnt figure out why Wayne (?) was doing all the work to keep up that site FOR FREE. One theory I had, was that he was a grad student doing sociology research for a PhD. And when the site closed down, one explanation could have been that he'd finished up that doctorate. NOW, I know that wasnt the case, but it was something I wondered then, from time to time. You could definitely use an online forum to study how people join and integrate into a social community. (Bet a bunch of work's been done already that I just dont know about.)

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Talk to us when you start admiring German machinery with blue paint.
    LOL, or give in to that old iron urge, gently nudged along by the Wadkin guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Well I just spent $100 at Woodpecker's today because of a thread telling me it was stupid to pay that much for a square.
    Ironically, just did the same. I need more red bling in my measuring and marking drawer.

What I like about SMC, and what seems different to me is that SMC is a mixture of white collar and blue collar workers, and even people that do not need to work.
    The white and blue collar workers tend to socialize with their own kind in the real world, most of the time.
    A lot of the white collar workers have a desire to do things with their hands, and be creative, which leads them to SMC.
    A lot of the professional wood workers seem to be a mix of blue and white collar in their businesses.
    The mix makes for an interesting place to visit.

I learned a long time ago that "All of us are smarter than any of us".

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I learned a long time ago that "All of us are smarter than any of us".
    I couldn't agree more!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's a great forum, I have some great virtual friends here.............Regards, Rod.

I must admit Sawmill Creek, and Badger Pond before it, have been a real blessing to me despite the original click baiting posting.

I have said before that the Creek is my only 'social media'. I look at so many other sites I frequent, and find that any statement made about any subject soon becomes a name calling, nasty, political or religious free for all, having nothing to do with the original subject.

As others have said, the Creek is a place to get objective viewpoints on tools and procedures, and if someone goes a bit overboard on their opinion the moderators do a wonderful job of gently censoring when necessary.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Well I just spent $100 at Woodpecker's today because of a thread telling me it was stupid to pay that much for a square.
    Well, I guess I'm doubely stupid. I have one of Brian Lambs Triangle squares.
    Wouldn't want to be without it. It's a beautiful piece of work.

SMC is my primary source for woodworking and tool information. It has enhanced my skills and creativity and frequently gives me motivation to try something new. Wonderful groups of experts and wannabees. Who could ask for anything more?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

95% blessing and only 5% curse.

Why? Because I have learned a lot, gotten questions answered and thoroughly enjoyed reading the forum. I have seen a few things that I would like to purchase but so far I haven't "just had to" purchase anything based on this forum; so only the 5% curse rating.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    The Creek has been an enabler, an opiate, opening my mind to new acquisitions to feed my tool junkie sickness. I may have never fallen this far down this slippery slope without the aid of fellow Creekers.

What say you?
    If you think THIS place is bad, then never, ever go to GarageJournal. They have much wider tool interests to suck you in....
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Contrarian!!
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    If you think THIS place is bad, then never, ever go to GarageJournal. They have much wider tool interests to suck you in....

Unfortunately , as a member of both the effects often don’t completely overlap and are cumulative.

Actually.......I don't actually belong to Garage Journal, but I frequently end up there through The Ford Barn, and other Y-Block sites.

Yup, two expensive hobbies.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.