Thread: Brace runout a problem?

Brace runout a problem?

I’ve had a Millers Falls No. 32 I got off ebay for a few months now and I love it. But I had some issues recently driving Philips head screws and the driver would sometimes slip out of the slots of the screws. At first I thought the Philips shaft was bent, but it turns out the chuck on the brace has some runout. I don’t know if it’s in the jaw or some other part of the chuck. If I put the brace into ratcheting mode and just spin it with a regular size bit it measures about a quarter inch of travel at the tip of the bit.

I haven’t had to do any “precision” drilling – and quite honestly I don’t have the skillset yet to really do precision hand drilling – so I don’t know if this is an issue that will eventually rear its ugly head or not. I’d like to think that when I drill into wood any runout would be offset by the brace itself just wandering slightly in my hands – because I’m certainly not capable of keeping the brace locked into position below a quarter inch of travel!

So how much runout is too much on a brace? And if I’ve got too much, is it any easy fix or do I eventually shop for another brace (and potentially run into the same problem….)
    IMG_20180504_120810.jpg
    IMG_20180504_120822.jpg

I don't think it is much of an issue. I have 2 braces and have never thought to measure for runout. When I bore a hole, the brace wanders all over the place, but my holes come out pretty clean, if the bit is sharp. The beauty of drilling with a brace and bit is that you can stop every turn or three and make sure things are progressing in the direction you want, and adjust as necessary.

Blog Entries
    Some tools live a harder life than others. Sound like yours may have been forced by a user or possibly dropped from a high place.

Some may try to correct such a situation by bending it back into shape. Most will just let it go and find another brace. They are common and often available for less than $10 at a yard sale.

When you start getting away from the most common 10" sweep they may cost a bit more.

Don't end up like me wanting to take everyone you see home with you. That ended up costing me $2 for one that wasn't really needed.

Braces are so common that my buying of them never resorted to bidding on ebay. At one time a 16d nail with the tip cut off was carried around in my pocket for checking braces. Other items were a screwdriver, small magnet, a magnifier and a small piece of 200-400 grit sandpaper.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can try taking the chuck apart to clean the gunk and debris and make sure the jaws are correctly aligned. Also make sure that everything is seating properly and tightly when you put the bits in (sometimes they wedge in a little cockeyed it can help to move the bit around a little bit as you tighten the jaws). That may help. If not, it may just be beat up like Jim mentions. Not all old tools are great tools, some are just old and worn out and not worth fixing. Braces are cheap and easy to come by (and addicting if you are not careful).

Blog Entries
    I suggest that you take the brace apart, clean it, lubricate it, and put it back together. Make sure the jaws are working properly.
    If something is bent, it should show up.

If you think about it, the only alignment that matters is that the top handle should be in line with the bit. That's the axis that rotates. If it's off, the angle should be small, or you can fix it by bending. As was mentioned, if you keep your eye on the bit alignment, you can drill accurately even if the brace wanders. It's easier if the top handle can stay still though.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I looked at some holes I drilled and they seem to be very straight. Given the 2-3 turns and check square thing I always do it doesn't really seem to matter how much the handle wanders. And I noticed that even if my forehead is on the handle, I'm incapable of keeping the handle motionless. So I suspect this is really much ado about nothing. I think I will keep my eyes peeled for another brace (this one was $10) at some point and when I have a backup, I'll take this thing apart and look at the insides (although if anything is bend, I doubt I would have the metalworking skill to fix it). That way, when I can't put it back together (!) I won't be screwed. And if I succeed, then I can keep one chucked up as a driver and the other for drilling.

Blog Entries
    I believe I read somewhere that the most important feature of any vintage brace has to do with how much the top grip/handle moves around and tilts in use. The ball bearings in those handles can get buggered and they may be hard to replace. I think this may be what Alan mentions above.

I try to keep only braces which have little or no wobble in the top grip. I also look for braces that can hold hex shaped objects firmly. I like using hex adapters in my braces to prevent purchase issues in the jaws and facilitate quick changes between drill bits and screw driver bits. The large Wood Owl Drills I use have hex shanks too. Lee Valley and Highland Woodworking even have hex adapters that work in Yankee Drills. You may have to kiss a few frogs to get there....
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-06-2018 at 1:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    if I succeed, then I can keep one chucked up as a driver and the other for drilling.
    If you can find a 6" or 8" sweep brace, they make better drivers than a 10". They are easier to turn faster.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

There is an old trick for using a brace& bit....stand a square up beside the bit...and let it guide the drill....focus on the square and the bit beside it....also works for doing angled holes....

found the problem

I’ve discovered the problem. The last tooth of one side of the jaws is worn down. How this can happen to only one side, I have no idea, but it is what it is.

Here’s a pic with a ¼” bit in. The left side of the jaw is rounded and this is the side the bit leans toward.
    IMG_20180515_075532.jpg

Here’s a pic of just the jaws and you can easily see one side (top) is rounded.
    IMG_20180515_080122.jpg

Here’s a pic of the side of the jaws that’s GOOD
    IMG_20180515_080151.jpg

And here’s a pic of the side of the jaws that’s BAD.
    IMG_20180515_080200.jpg

So what to do? Is there any reason why I can’t just file the good side the same as the bad side under the premise that two wrongs make a right so long as the wrongs are the same? The bad side still has enough of a bump to grab the square end of the bit to hold it in.

Blog Entries
    So what to do? Is there any reason why I can’t just file the good side the same as the bad side under the premise that two wrongs make a right so long as the wrongs are the same? The bad side still has enough of a bump to grab the square end of the bit to hold it in.
    My first attempt would be to try and build up the bad side with something like JB Weld or use it to attach a piece of metal to work down to what it was originally.

Otherwise, braces are usually easy to find at yard sales.

Heck if you are anywhere near me, let's get together and you can have one of my extras. My most recent acquisition set me back $2, you can have it at cost or trade for a cold Guinness.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    braces are usually easy to find ...
    jtk
    I'm with Jim on this... I got two of my braces while trying to make a complete set of bits by bidding on Ebay... though now I'm trying to convince my wife to move 1500 miles north, if deals are that easy to find... It doesn't really rain all that often, right, Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Heck if you are anywhere near me, let's get together and you can have one of my extras. My most recent acquisition set me back $2, you can have it at cost or trade for a cold Guinness.

jtk
    Thanks! Unfortunately that's a 5hr flight

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to convince my wife to move 1500 miles north, if deals are that easy to find... It doesn't really rain all that often, right, Jim?
    Just a little north of me we have one of the largest rain forests in North America.

It only rains here a little over nine months of the year.

Of course it depends on what you call rain. Currently it is wet outside. Those little water droplets that were in the air last night isn't really considered rain around here.

It has kind of acclimated me to the area. Often nothing is noticed on my way to the greenhouse until stepping inside. Then the precipitation can be be heard once inside the greenhouse.

So yeah, that's the ticket, it doesn't rain often here, only once from October to April.

jtk