Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 22114

Craftsman 22114

Hi,
    I agreed to buy a Craftsman 22114 today. The seller got it from an estate cleanup and it looks like it’s been sitting for a while. The saw needs a little work, but the wheels to raise and tilt the blade work smoothly and it does seem to run quieter than the Delta 34-444 saw I currently have. The only rust is really on the cast iron table top, although the throat plate was warped and stuck to the slot. The table itself is flat when I put a straight edge to it in all directions. No wobble in the arbor and the bearing spins smoothly.

It runs quiet, but has a slight vibration I think due to the drive belt stiffening from not being used. Is there a recommended brand I should look at for a replacement belt? The stock belt can still be bought for around $22 online. Is there anything I should be looking at when I take this thing apart for a cleaning?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Cuong Nguyen; 05-04-2018 at 12:43 PM.

If the belt is in otherwise good condition, I might take the blade off and just run the motor for several minutes. See if the belt would heat up a little and the set relax. If it doesn't work you're not out much.

tires may be flat if left under tension.
    Bill D

Cuong, this may or may not be relevant to the 22114.
    I installed a link belt to an older, late 80’s Craftsman contractor. The link belt noticeably reduced vibration.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks. I’ll try this.

Tires? It doesn’t have a rolling stand if that’s what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuong Nguyen View Post
    Tires? It doesn’t have a rolling stand if that’s what you mean.
    Coung, I think Bill thought you were asking about a band saw. It’s always best to give more info in the thread title, for example, “Craftsman 22114 Table Saw” rather than just “Craftsman 22114”
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I believe this saw has a serpentine or micro-vee belt if it is like the 22124 I owned so no link belt here although I use them wherever I can. The throat insert is no big deal as you will make your own zero clearance inserts anyway. The rust can be dealt with via a razor knife-type razor blade held in pliers of vise grips and used like a scraper if is is that sort of "sheet" of rust over the whole surface. For spot stain removal T-9 Rust Free does a great job BUT, is caustic so please read the directions.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Coung, I think Bill thought you were asking about a band saw. It’s always best to give more info in the thread title, for example, “Craftsman 22114 Table Saw” rather than just “Craftsman 22114”
    I reread his post again and I am still not sure if it is a band with roller bearing guides or a table saw. At least enough info to know it is a saw of some kind.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Sorry, this is the table saw. I didn’t realize they had two different products with the same number.

it’s the 152.221140 table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I believe this saw has a serpentine or micro-vee belt if it is like the 22124 I owned so no link belt here although I use them wherever I can. The throat insert is no big deal as you will make your own zero clearance inserts anyway. The rust can be dealt with via a razor knife-type razor blade held in pliers of vise grips and used like a scraper if is is that sort of "sheet" of rust over the whole surface. For spot stain removal T-9 Rust Free does a great job BUT, is caustic so please read the directions.
    I got the saw today and ran it for a few minutes. The vibration seemed less than when I checked out the saw. I’ll run it fir a while to see if the belt loosens up. The saw is definitely quieter than my Delta 34-444. Almost 10db according to my iPhone app.

I’m not too worried about the throat insert. I didn’t realize it’s held down with a screw and I should be able to make some zero clearance ones from some plywood.

I’ll probably take some WD-40 and sandpaper the tops. The saw needs a little cleaning but I think it will be a good upgrade to the Delta. It’s quieter, has a smaller footprint and has better dust collection which are the main upgrades I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I reread his post again and I am still not sure if it is a band with roller bearing guides or a table saw. At least enough info to know it is a saw of some kind.
    Bil lD
    Sorry, it’s the 152.221140 hybrid saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuong Nguyen View Post
    Sorry, it’s the 152.221140 hybrid saw.
    Sometimes referred to as a "Zipcode saw" because the shortened model number resembles a postal Zip Code. They're good saws from what I've read, kind of a light/medium duty cabinet saw.

I had one once. Pretty good little saw. They came with a couple of different fences including one with a Beisemeyer clone. Which fence did you get?

I called tech support on mine and they sent me a dust collection shroud for the bottom of the cabinet. The lady on the phone said the lip was bent so she didn't charge me. Took a hammer to it and in a couple of minutes had it all fixed. I also called about an assembly issue and they were very helpful. Not sure how they will be now that the saw is no longer made.

You did good. Rejoice in it and make sawdust.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I had one once. Pretty good little saw. They came with a couple of different fences including one with a Beisemeyer clone. Which fence did you get?

I called tech support on mine and they sent me a dust collection shroud for the bottom of the cabinet. The lady on the phone said the lip was bent so she didn't charge me. Took a hammer to it and in a couple of minutes had it all fixed. I also called about an assembly issue and they were very helpful. Not sure how they will be now that the saw is no longer made.

You did good. Rejoice in it and make sawdust.
    It came with the double rail fence with the slots. I'll move this fence to the Delta 34-444 saw I have and either put on a Unifence or a Biesemeyer fence that I have. I haven't decided which fence yet.