Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys get Aldi chisels to hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Where is Patrick when we need him so much? This topic is right in his wheelhouse.
    +1. Pat would have a good time with this thread!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    My resistance is actually a lack of information available. If we knew the chemistry and microstructure, we could make informed comments. Without a good lab investigation, it is just conjecture or guess as to what is going on.
    Know anybody with an XRF we could get to shoot a few chisels? The one at work is calibrated for lead....

I find it head shaking funny to think this thread on super market chisels has run almost a month and a half. I have to admit I've found it like a train wreck and have been unable to look away. I know whatever blows your skirt, YMMV, and all that rot but get real $2 USD super market chisels ain't going to work as well as chisels from makers with their name and reputation on the line. Some times you get what you pay for but a good rule of life is if it is too good to be true it's too good to be true.

ken

There was a line by Major Hogan, in "Sharpe's Rifles"........" being snobbed by Snobs".....

Oh well....I'll just keep using mine...

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I find it head shaking funny to think this thread on super market chisels has run almost a month and a half. I have to admit I've found it like a train wreck and have been unable to look away. I know whatever blows your skirt, YMMV, and all that rot but get real $2 USD super market chisels ain't going to work as well as chisels from makers with their name and reputation on the line. Some times you get what you pay for but a good rule of life is if it is too good to be true it's too good to be true.

ken
    I am not giving up my Two Cherries or my Ashley Iles chisels... And I have since added several quality vintage octagon bolster cast steel chisels to my stable... I won't trade them for Aldi's....

I actually visited my local Aldis and Lidl to see if they had some.. To see if this whole "Roasty-Toasty Chisel" baking thing was just a fluke from the 1 pack I tried... But alas - none in stock... I did see some gigantic masonry bits... Seriously - who decides to stock 20 three-packs of huge 3' long, 1 1/2" diameter masonry bits in a grocery store? These are for big hammer drills - not little home owner drills..

Yeah... I can see it now.... Mom pushing around the shopping cart... Bottle of wine.... Some Fresh bread.. Some funny looking German cookies... And a 3 pack of giant 3-foot long hammer drills that weighs 25lbs...

But you know how it is... Paul Sellers loves the things.... James Wright loves the things... Steve Newman loves the things.. So they must not be all bad... Mine are a lot better since I baked them...

But still... I find myself reaching more and more for my Good chisels.. I like the way they they feel and I like the way their edges hold up....

Blog Entries
    So they must not be all bad...
    My guess is they are comparable to the many hardware store chisels in my accumulation. They even look like the Sandvik chisels purchased ~20 years ago when my woodworking journey began. They can do as good a job as the person who is wielding them is capable of doing.

Even though they are able to do fine work, they are mostly a general purpose chisel, jack of all trades and master of none. My paring chisels have me spoiled. My other chisels get a day off when the paring chisels are needed for a project. Just like when the choppers are needed the paring chisels lay resting in their drawer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I gotta say, I went over to the local Aldi yesterday, and they had Zero.

I have some beaters already, just wanted to see what all the fuss is about.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

IMAG0092.jpgIMAG0093.jpgIMAG0094.jpgIMAG0096.jpgIMAG0095.jpg
    Stamped as GERMANY BRIT. ZONE DROPPED FORGED

Maybe these were from the steel off of an old Mk5, or Mk6 Panzer tank.....since there were a lot sitting around, and waiting to be recycled...
    IMG_4647 (640x480).jpg
    The wide chisel is stamped as Muller and is 22mm. Company was bought out by a French company. The little chisel in-between is stamped 1/2" DROPPED FORGED and on the back is stamped ....JAPAN

Care to take a stab at the steel in these?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    IMAG0092.jpgIMAG0093.jpgIMAG0094.jpgIMAG0096.jpgIMAG0095.jpg
    Stamped as GERMANY BRIT. ZONE DROPPED FORGED

Maybe these were from the steel off of an old Mk5, or Mk6 Panzer tank.....since there were a lot sitting around, and waiting to be recycled...
    IMG_4647 (640x480).jpg
    The wide chisel is stamped as Muller and is 22mm. Company was bought out by a French company. The little chisel in-between is stamped 1/2" DROPPED FORGED and on the back is stamped ....JAPAN

Care to take a stab at the steel in these?
    Nice to see you are an equal opportunity tool collector.

Well... Father's day came and went.. There were no chisels found in either Aldi or Lidl... What is this world coming to?

In their place - I found gigantic masonry hammer drill bits.... 3' long and 1 1/2" diameter or thereabouts..... At the German grocery store chain....

I didn't even bother to go look.....have two sets, don't need another one...

I have given up my search for the phantom chisels! I will stick to just buying my lawn care products at Aldi's, but they did have a sweet power washer there today!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

IMG_1946.jpg
    Oh, they are not phantoms....
    IMG_1944 (640x480).jpg
    Backs even polish up nicely..
    edges.JPG
    Newer ones are a tad thicker, though ( the top one..)
    IMG_1942 (640x480).jpg
    (newer one is on the right..)
    IMG_1941 (640x480).jpg
    Must be a "mirage"..right?

Steven the wood liquidator people have a 4 chisel set for 5.99. You better run by there and pick up a set. They have PVC handles to boot. You can test them out and report back. They may even be better than Aldi's. Be first to write a review!
    Jim

Thanks, but...no thanks, have all the chisels I need, for now.....