Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 belt grinder build - free plans available

2018 belt grinder build - free plans available

Attached are some pics of a couple 2x72" grinders I built this year. I have built a few over the years and have refined my design each time. I drew upplans and a detailed parts list for this grinder – I am happy to share them andI can email them to you if you drop me a PM/email. Once you have a 2x72" I your shop - you will wonder how you ever lived with out one.

May I ask where do you get your wheels?
    Nice build....

Kevin. Those serrated wheels I bought from alieexpress(China). They are exceptional for the price. The tracking and drive wheel I bought from AmeriBrade - equally impressive for the price. I have tried almost all other brands but these are the ones I prefer

What do your neighbors think about your fence decoration?
    These tools look like some factory offerings. Really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jansen View Post
    Kevin. Those serrated wheels I bought from alieexpress(China). They are exceptional for the price. The tracking and drive wheel I bought from AmeriBrade - equally impressive for the price. I have tried almost all other brands but these are the ones I prefer

Regarding the serrated wheels...did you have to bore them out to accept bearings? The ones I'm seeing seem to be drilled to accept a keyed shaft, or just a shaft presumably with a set screw....thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shepherd View Post
    Regarding the serrated wheels...did you have to bore them out to accept bearings? The ones I'm seeing seem to be drilled to accept a keyed shaft, or just a shaft presumably with a set screw....thx!

No you do not need to bore them out. Search that site for "belt grinder contact wheel". You will find them from Rams Bralin. They come in various sizes. Order them ready for 6202 bearings. I then purchase 6202 bearings (1/2" ID) separately and install them myself in the wheels. Then I have a quality bearing installed on a Chinese wheel - and frankly I find they are just as good as a $300 US rubber wheel.

Is a metal lathe and mill required to make one of these? I would be interested in the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by John Densmore View Post
    Is a metal lathe and mill required to make one of these? I would be interested in the plans.

No John. You do not need a lathe or a mill. PM me your email address and I'll send you the plans.

Attached are some pics of a couple 2x72" grinders I built this year. I have built a few over the years and have refined my design each time. I drew upplans and a detailed parts list for this grinder – I am happy to share them andI can email them to you if you drop me a PM/email. Once you have a 2x72" I your shop - you will wonder how you ever lived with out one.

How Cool!! I'll PM you.

Awesome. Great job!

Very nice. I've been thinking about a 4" along those lines.

So what is the benefit of these? What do you use them for? My first guess is sharpening? What's the overall build cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    So what is the benefit of these? What do you use them for? My first guess is sharpening? What's the overall build cost?
    Simplest answer would be removing material. These are really essential for a lot of knife makers. In fact its basically the ubiquitous tool in knife making. You can really hog out some metal and with the right setup put some fine belts and do some sharpening on low speed. Small radius wheels, bigger contact wheels, smaller contact wheels, flat platens, curved platens, slack belt set up, belts for wood; the possibilities are plentiful. And this is coming from someone who lives in Neanderthal Haven.

Vince

Yep, exactly. I started making these for knifemaking as I did not want to spend the money to buy the one I really wanted. It turned out they are pretty easy to make. Total cost depends on the options you have, but I have it all layed out in my plans which I can send you. I run 4 of these in my shop - all set up for different tasks. I have one in my woodworking shop too for general sanding, sharpening, deburring random stuff, etc. Once you have one, you will use it every time you are in the shop.

Once you have one, you will use it every time you are in the shop.
    PM sent, because that's exactly what I'm thinking and I don't even have one yet.