Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low price: Makita 118 inch guide rail

Low price: Makita 118 inch guide rail

I was getting ready to post a semi gloat that I received my Makita 118" guide rail for $202 shipped when I saw it on Tool Nut for $199 shipped!

For some reason they have come down in price and the crazy high shipping is gone.

Mine arrived today well packed in a wooden box for protection.

Just an FYI in case anyone was waiting for a reasonable price (like I was).

If you just got it from ToolNut, call them and get your $3 bucks back.

I got mine from a different dealer. I was surprised to suddenly see multiple dealers with the low shipped price.

Does this work with the Festool track saws?

I have a Makita 55" that works perfectly with my Festool TS 75. It seems essentially identical to my Festool track. I do like the Makita rubber edge better. The black is easier for me to see against the wood. I have not opened the crate yet on the 118" track but I can't image it would be any different.

Yes, it works with a Festool tracksaw.

Just a note that this will probably be even cheaper once the usual Makita 20/25 off 100 promo kicks in, probably in the next few weeks leading up to Father's Day. I picked it up from ToolNut for around 170 something on the last one about six months ago. I think the price came down because Makita drop-ships it now - mine came directly via freight from Makita's distribution center in SoCal.

And yes, works with Festool saws.

Mine also came from Makita in southern California. I un-packed it tonight and it was in perfect condition (very well packed).

A while back I tried to find a good price but the ~$200 shipping was a deal killer. I suspect Victor is right and the lower price is likely due to Makita drop shipping them.

The black splinter guard replacement strips from Makita also work with Festool rails. The 118" one is 1/3 the (rip-off) price that Festool charges.

https://www.toolnut.com/makita-19441...ent-strip.html

I was feeling really good about getting the $199 deal from tool nut until Victor just ruined my day.

Curses, foiled again.

PS: I got my first, DeWalt, track saw a few years back when fellow Creekies posted about an Amazon special deal on them. It included the saw, and the short and long tracks for a super package price. I am thinking it was about $350-400.

Does anyone remember what that price was? Just curious. I plan to sell the DeWalt, now that I have the Makita.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I was feeling really good about getting the $199 deal from tool nut until Victor just ruined my day.

Curses, foiled again.

PS: I got my first, DeWalt, track saw a few years back when fellow Creekies posted about an Amazon special deal on them. It included the saw, and the short and long tracks for a super package price. I am thinking it was about $350-400.

Does anyone remember what that price was? Just curious. I plan to sell the DeWalt, now that I have the Makita.
    LOL. I'm sorry Rick. I owe you a day now.

What is the need for a track saw? What do most of you track saw owners use them for? Cutting plywood sheets down? I'm just curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I got my first, DeWalt, track saw a few years back when fellow Creekies posted about an Amazon special deal on them. It included the saw, and the short and long tracks for a super package price. I am thinking it was about $350-400.

Does anyone remember what that price was? Just curious.
    I got in on that deal... it was through Amazon Supply, which was replaced by Amazon Business in 2015.

The price was $368.53, and included the saw, the 59" track and the 102" track.

I'm glad I got it, and I use it all the time for breaking down sheet goods, and occasionally for other things (awkward dados with the router guide, etc.)

It was a heck of a deal, but it's a good reminder that reading these deal threads can be hazardous to your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    What is the need for a track saw? What do most of you track saw owners use them for? Cutting plywood sheets down? I'm just curious. Thanks!
    Cutting sheets of plywood. Crosscutting large panels. Getting a straight edge on rough lumber. You can also use the plunge feature to make cuts in the middle of a sheet such as making a cutout in plywood for a sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moscicki View Post
    Cutting sheets of plywood. Crosscutting large panels. Getting a straight edge on rough lumber. You can also use the plunge feature to make cuts in the middle of a sheet such as making a cutout in plywood for a sink.
    Hi,
    Add the word "accurately" to all of Michael's examples. Also for me a big feature is the dust collection capability. The other day I was breaking down six sheet of melamine in a garage. The track saw made quick work of it. When I emptied my vac I was amazed at how much sawdust came out of that one session. Without the dust collection of the track saw it would have been everywhere. For years I used a skilsaw with a good old sawboard and the track is a big upgrade.
    Edwin