Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name two things that will probably never happen...

Name two things that will probably never happen...

I'll start:

1- Opting out of ad emails actually stopping the emails...
    Bought a screened canopy from QVC last weekend. Been getting 2-3 ad emails every day since.
    Yesterday I opted out.
    First two emails this morning were ads from QVC...

2- LED light bulbs lasting 5 to 45 years... yeah, right. The words "junk science" come to mind...
    After less than 2 years of service many of the LED bulbs in our house are doing the strobe-light thing. Not conducive to the wife's chronic migraines... Also not conducive to the high prices for them... example, I paid like $60 for an LED lit floor-standing magnifier to help with painting small engraved items. It started strobing at about 2 years old, and there's no replacement lighting for it.
    I'm getting longer life out of the twisted CFL's...

Both of these get hearty from me.

--- others?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I'll play along.
    1: Woodworkers agreeing on one uniform sharpening technique.
    2: Elon Musk taking over the world an uploading a digital copy of his brain into AI, resulting in an incalculable number of artificial Musl's to exist forever.
    Seriously, could happen. Probably won't.. but..
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'll start:

1- Opting out of ad emails actually stopping the emails...
    Bought a screened canopy from QVC last weekend. Been getting 2-3 ad emails every day since.
    Yesterday I opted out.
    First two emails this morning were ads from QVC...

2- LED light bulbs lasting 5 to 45 years... yeah, right. The words "junk science" come to mind...
    After less than 2 years of service many of the LED bulbs in our house are doing the strobe-light thing. Not conducive to the wife's chronic migraines... Also not conducive to the high prices for them... example, I paid like $60 for an LED lit floor-standing magnifier to help with painting small engraved items. It started strobing at about 2 years old, and there's no replacement lighting for it.
    I'm getting longer life out of the twisted CFL's...

Both of these get hearty from me.

--- others?
    never say never IMHO. but saying that how about the end of all war and poverty?

1 - The National Do Not Call Registry will succeed
    2 - I will live long enough to get that last best tool that I will ever need in the shop

Blog Entries
    1. Women will stop demanding a toilet seat be set back in the down position when men are done using it.
    2. Women will start lifting a toilet seat to the up position when they are done using it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Junk science?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    It's not the science but the product design and manufacture. As discussed in an earlier thread,

1) The tiny LED light sources inside the fixture or bulb will last an incredibly long time IF they do not overheat. I found some fixtures pay little or no attention to heat sinking to remove heat from the semiconductor. I bought some fixtures and returned those that did not properly disperse heat. It's not rocket science, just $$.

2) The electronics that drive the LED are complex and far more likely to fail than the light emitting diodes. Especially if kept hot.

I've had several LED fixtures fail and being non-repairable just added to the landfill problem and the slim wallet problem. My current policy: only buy fixtures with replaceable elements. I wish the best for those who have filled their shops with cheap LED fixtures.

JKJ

My house is all LED lighting. I have had one LED bulb fail in three and a half years. Cree replaced it with TWO bulbs of a newer design that work better in enclosed fixtures. Previously, I was replacing CFLs monthly in a fixture with three bulbs. I would literally take a dozen bulbs at a time to Home Depot for recycling. The bulbs were GE brand and cheap with subsidies.

“Rachel” from Hilton Hotels will stop calling me. I hate that they mask real phone numbers so I can’t call back!!!

1. Johnny Manziel getting another shot at the NFL?

2. Congress voting to balance the budget?

Winning the lottery. I guess it would help if I bought a ticket. Waking up and saying "I have nothing to do today." That will only occur when I'm dead. My often tells me "while you are resting, how about doing so and so."

I'm really bad at this. At one time I predicted it would NEVER be cool to have your underwear sticking out of your waistband.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I will never be Queen of England.
    I will never play for the NY Yankees.

Republicans and Democrats agreeing on anything

Deficit paid off
    John T.

Flying cars and fusion power generation.

Fifty years ago, both of these were "25 years in the future"...and they still are.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Flying cars and fusion power generation.

Fifty years ago, both of these were "25 years in the future"...and they still are.
    As to flying cars, would you trust some of the tick bit yahoos reeking havoc on our roads to be less dangerous flying overhead?

In my opinion the human capacity for maturity has to go through another century or two before we can be trusted with flying transport on a personal level.

On fusion power generation, one theory has it that some of the binary star systems were at one time a star and a planet where people tried fusion power generation and had a run away event.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)