Thread: Bench I guess this is a tool thread. It’s a bench question.

Bench I guess this is a tool thread. It’s a bench question.

Anyone try and retrofit the benchcrafted leg vise with bearings as to avoid racking.

I may not be thinking straight here so feel free to correct me if so.

And don’t get me wrong the benchcrafted stuff is great. However the leg vise will rack a bit if you clamp a work piece off to just one side vrs in the middle like say a moxon.

I have thought many times that if the plastic guide bush that goes in the front side of the leg proper was a bearing it would eliminate any slop in the vise. Now I never thought this all the way through but I am right now.

I suppose that would not work as the threaded part of the screw would be traveling through the inner race of the bearing. Still if something to the affect could be done it would make a already great vise perfect!

3D3AF9D6-05C9-4899-86FD-E681D5D5CBA4.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 05-02-2018 at 9:39 PM.

Hi Patrick,

I have a leg vise with a german screw and clamp to the side often for dovetailing, etc. Yep, it racks a bit, but to no real effect. I'd recommend not over-thinking it unless you're not actually able to do what you're intending to do...

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Patrick, I have a leg vise with a wooden screw, not a steel BC screw. It also racks.

To tame the racking I created a guide for the parallel guide (called the parallel guide guide )

The parallel guide uses the AYS chain (mine was the prototype).

Regards from Perth

Derek

This doesn't fix the vise but the problem - get a couple sizes of binder clips, the black ones with the folding arms, and put one on a piece of scrap the same size as your work piece in the opposite end of the vise. The folding arms will keep the clip and scrap in place as you tighten the vise on your workpiece and keep the vise from racking. Simple, and works for every vise.
    Mike

binder clip (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by mike holden; 05-03-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added image
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!