Thread: One moon shaped dish out about size of 1/2pop can in concrete.

One moon shaped dish out about size of 1/2pop can in concrete.

When my floor was poured, by the door was a defect. Its prod 1/2-3/4" deep and moon shaped. How do you repair small concrete areas like that?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I think your defect is concave in the floor - correct? If nothing else, I would use epoxy and level it to the floor. My experience with getting concrete or thinset to stick to existing concrete (long term) in such situations is not good.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Bondo is another option but you're limited in color, unless you choose to custom-color it. Using their wood filler product, you might be able to color it with dry concrete. Testing is always the best option.

Maybe ill just keep the door mat over it.

We had a similar problem at one of my sites. The concrete floor had a latent defect near the edge by the roll-up door that was about four times the size as you show. The guy doing the repair drilled four or five 8mm holes with a hammer drill into the concrete base. Then he built a form along the edge using piece of cardboard and wedges to hold it firmly against the floor. I didn't see the material he used, but it was a gray filler made for concrete repair that had similar expansion characteristics as concrete. The holes he drilled served as mini footers to ensure the patch didn't pop out over time.

It's been five years since the repair and we roll over that area many times each day with a forklift. I don't notice the patch and it hasn't failed or chipped where it meets the concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think your defect is concave in the floor - correct? If nothing else, I would use epoxy and level it to the floor. My experience with getting concrete or thinset to stick to existing concrete (long term) in such situations is not good.

Mike
    This seems like a good idea. I'd try an experiment on a piece of scrap to see if I could mix a little concrete with the epoxy, to help make it less obvious.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

In the past-at work, I have always used Tamms Redline. You can shave and form it like clay after a few minuets of setting. Not sure if its available around your area. Used it a lot for overhead concrete and broken off corner repairs.

Mike

If it doesn't have to match, just hit is with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, and level it with some anchoring cement.
    Anchoring cement from Quikrete is going to be kind of grey. Other types may be a different hue.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

There are companies that make concrete concrete repair mixes in small bags. Just go to your local concrete company and make sure you measure the thickness of the patch you need to make. Used to be a product called thorobond you painted the patch area with before putting the material into the patch area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    There are companies that make concrete concrete repair mixes in small bags. Just go to your local concrete company ...
    Or ask someone who pours and finishes concrete. "My" concrete finishers use a powdered patching compound (can't remember the name) for such repairs. Said it was expensive and I wouldn't want to buy a whole bag. They gave me some in case I needed it under one threshold - they said it would even stick to the finished concrete surface but I didn't test that. If you lived near I'd give you what I have; perhaps a local finisher could supply a small amount.

Would liquid the concrete crack filler sold at the large box store work?

Self leveling stuff by Sika. HD round here sells it