Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta/Milwaukke/Rockwell Homecraft 10" Bandsaw

Delta/Milwaukke/Rockwell Homecraft 10" Bandsaw

Have an opportunity to buy a old DELTA/MILWAUKEE "Homecraft" 10" bandsaw at attractive price under $100. Seller tells me it has a 10" throat or resaw capacity.. He read a model # over phone of U129 RS....My research isn't clear as to the companies involved; Most of my finding indicate Delta/Rockwell but seller states it is Delta/Milwaukee...Homecraft is imbedded in the steel housing...I am also concerned about the power (he doesn't know the HP but i think its 1/4hp) as I plan to ocassionally use resawing hardwoods...
    This is a tool i will not use much but thought it be an easy way to have 10" resaw capacity on hand and available when I need it.
    Any of you have experience with this vintage BS? Not sure from model #? what I'm dealing with.
    Did find a manual online for the Dl/Rockwell model of Homecraft BS but other info is sparse...
    Thanks in advance....I won't proceed till I hear your opinions.
    Jerry

I have not used the band saw, but 'Homecraft' was the hobby version of their tools in general. Many Delta tools back then were labeled with the Milwaukee logo.

My dad bought a Delta Homecraft bench model drill press in 1954, at Western Auto. I bought it from him in the 70's (?), and gave it to my son about 20 years ago. As far as I know it still has the original belt, and I know I really used it a lot.

I would imagine that your band saw would be a better machine than any of the small table models being sold today, and for less than $100, assuming it runs well, I don't see you losing any money on it. There sure isn't any plastic on it.

PS: Just looked on my local CL, and there is a 10" Homecraft for $160, while the adjacent ad shows a Delta 10" plastic bandsaw for $200. Guess which one I would buy.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-02-2018 at 5:23 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

This may be the same/or similar machine that you researched online: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1988

Please note this machine featured does NOT have 10" resaw capability. What the seller probably means is 10" from blade to frame (actual 9 3/4" per manual). The manual says cutting height is 6 5/8". Please note hp rating is 1/3 in this manual.

Most likely either a model 28-110 or 28-100. Neither are really resaw capable, they are light hobbiest machines. The number he gave you isn’t a Delta-Milwaukee model number since they didn’t put model numbers on the machines.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 05-02-2018 at 8:53 PM.

Don’t be fooled by the Homecraft title. They are still well built bandsaws. I have one I use quite a bit. The 10” throat can be a bit limiting at times but mine came with a 3/4 hp motor and can resaw six inches pretty easy with a 3 tooth 3/8” blade. I think the max is 6 1/4” resaw and that might be with the guard removed. I often use it to rough out firewood into dimensional stock or for roughing out spoons. It’s hard to get hurt at that price and can replace a few parts and still be money ahead.
    Last edited by Dan Jansen; 05-02-2018 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Better answer the original question

It's a nice, vintage, light duty band saw, but it's probably one of the last saws I would chose for resaw work.

I also have a Delta Milwaukee Homecraft drill press built in around 1954. Solid and smooth as a rock, if the quality of the bandsaw is comparable it should be a great little saw especially for $100. I would doubt that it has 10" resaw capacity. If you're interested in a little history check out this link http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=1141

8. Definitely not 10" resaw capability, but it is a nice saw.

Heavily built for a saw that size and well designed. I'd love to have one as a second or third bandsaw.

FWIW, I did some resawing with a lesser saw back when I was working in a tiny corner of a basement. I was building mountain dulcimers and strum sticks, so the pieces were small and I was essentially sawing what amounted to veneers in fairly narrow widths. It wasn't the best tool for the job but it did get the job done with a lot of care, some patience, and a little difficulty.

Even though I have a 14" Delta bandsaw and a 9" Ryobi, I'd jump on one like that if the price was in line with the condition of the saw.

I've resawed with mine.

Thanks to all...Learned much from your comments...Plan to see, possibly pick up Friday AM...
    Sounds like we agree: it is a high quality, vintage BS intended for hobbyist use with limited resaw capacity...Might be ideal for my humble needs (occassional light use) and the price is reasonable..I'll continue to read this thread and will let you know the outcome tomorrow....thanks
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I also have a Delta Milwaukee Homecraft drill press built in around 1954. Solid and smooth as a rock, if the quality of the bandsaw is comparable it should be a great little saw especially for $100. I would doubt that it has 10" resaw capacity. If you're interested in a little history check out this link http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=1141
    Thanks Doug..Very good source and interesting history!!!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    Definitely not 10" resaw capability, but it is a nice saw.

Heavily built for a saw that size and well designed. I'd love to have one as a second or third bandsaw.

FWIW, I did some resawing with a lesser saw back when I was working in a tiny corner of a basement. I was building mountain dulcimers and strum sticks, so the pieces were small and I was essentially sawing what amounted to veneers in fairly narrow widths. It wasn't the best tool for the job but it did get the job done with a lot of care, some patience, and a little difficulty.

Even though I have a 14" Delta bandsaw and a 9" Ryobi, I'd jump on one like that if the price was in line with the condition of the saw.
    Good advice, Pete...I probably will jump on it..
    Jerry

Hoping I can disassemble to bring home..Seller tells me "2 men to lift"...
    Assuming I can take apart nuts/bolts etc and break into smaller portions..
    Certainly want to separate motor/belt from saw. Then load into my SUV.
    Should that work? Thanks
    Your advice appreciated...
    Jerry

The saw itself is around 80 lbs. Factory stand and motor Is About the same.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 05-03-2018 at 5:15 PM.

Always remove the table when transporting a band saw, way too easy to damage the trunnions otherwise. Also remove the blade to avoid accidentally cutting yourself. I just found that vintage machinery article recently and found it interesting also.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 05-03-2018 at 8:04 PM. Reason: spelling