Thread: 110 or 220

110 or 220

Hi everyone .... it's been a while .... I have a question .... I'm considering ordering another Laser ( long story ) .... other than Amp draw is there any advantages of 110 volt over 240 volt ?

Thank You

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Well, I'm not sure about Canada, but in most areas of the US homes are generally wired with 110v outlets. And only have one 220 for a washer / dryer connection.

So, obviously, one advantage is you don't need to have a 220 outlet available if you don't already have one.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any advantages of 110 over 220.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Book View Post
    Hi everyone .... it's been a while .... I have a question .... I'm considering ordering another Laser ( long story ) .... other than Amp draw is there any advantages of 110 volt over 240 volt ?

Thank You

Brian
    In these smaller machines a 120 volt machine would have more resale value and much more portable than a 240 volt one.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Canada is set up the same Voltage wise .... also I was thinking 110 would be better for resale .... Thank you both for your replies

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Blog Entries
    There is zero power savings in anything 110 vs 220 in single phase. Just ease of use in more areas. But if you are rewiring, I'd always go 220 as you can use smaller wire size. But that is just me.

Whachabuying?

HMMMM!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Hi John .... I have both 220 and 110 in my shop .... well after the Rayfine died and no help from Rayfine .... I'm now looking at Sinjoe that Dave Sheldrake has praise for ... I'm just trying to be really careful who I buy from as I'm still feeling the pain from the last purchase.

Take Care

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Book; 05-06-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

I ordered my Triumph in 220, so it, the blower, air pump and 3000 water cooler were all 220. All the male outlet plugs are identical to our 110v plugs, so wired up some standard 110 outlets (well marked as 220v) from a 30 amp 220 breaker, everything runs great--

However, there is a slight catch, my equipment is all specified as 50Hz, and of course I have 60Hz current. But this hasn't been a problem, the air pump and the blower (that died 2 years ago) may run a tick faster which is no biggie, and I think the laser itself is compatible with either freq. BUT, the new 5200 chiller I just bought (110v), specifically warns against running the thing at the wrong line frequency.

SO, this is all another reason to just order up 110 volt equipment
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank You Kev .... the one I have now is 110 .... the next one will be as well .... just makes sense ... I just thought maybe the Amp draw would be reduced .... now the one I'm considering has it so I could us the plugs on the back .... I just have a hole lot more questions to ask.

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

50/60 Hertz, nothing to fret about. Most motors today or equipment are rated for both, 50 or 60 it runs a little faster that's all.

There is a one point worth to mention. It is not "advantage", but can be important point for 110V users. If you go to buy cheap Chinese laser cutter they are tested in 220 (230)V environment. From first sight it is "ok, no problem" but when you go deeper you can realize some elements they use for 220V can be NOT fully compatible with 110V and I mean maximum current drawn from units. That's mean sockets, switches and wires can be overheated and melted and/or caused fire. The reason is simple: If we have 1100W element which is working under 220V it will take 1100/220=~5A. In case You use 110V unit there will be 10A. Doubled current can be higher than some poor quality elements can bear. There was many complains on red-black 7050 lasers due this issue.
    Red & Black KH-7050 / 80W EFR F2 / "24mm" head with lens 20/mirror 25mm / extended working area 720x510 | Foison vinyl cutter 2FT wide | Was working on Epilog, Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, Graphtec, CNCs, laminators etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech Szul View Post
    There is a one point worth to mention. It is not "advantage", but can be important point for 110V users. If you go to buy cheap Chinese laser cutter they are tested in 220 (230)V environment. From first sight it is "ok, no problem" but when you go deeper you can realize some elements they use for 220V can be NOT fully compatible with 110V and I mean maximum current drawn from units. That's mean sockets, switches and wires can be overheated and melted and/or caused fire. The reason is simple: If we have 1100W element which is working under 220V it will take 1100/220=~5A. In case You use 110V unit there will be 10A. Doubled current can be higher than some poor quality elements can bear. There was many complains on red-black 7050 lasers due this issue.
    These lasers do not draw a lot of amps, put an meter on and you will find that out. Not even close to a 1000 watts. Machines wired internally for example with #16 AWG which is small, can carry 10 amps without issues. Even 200 watts is only 1.67 amps calculated on 120 volts AC. The machines do have circuit breakers and fuses provided. In the US general purpose outlets are rated for either 15 or 20 amps and have branch circuit protection. I would never plug anything else into those plugs provided on the back. Just get a good industrial UL rated power strip with heavy wiring for your water pump or small exhaust fan.

As far a voltage drop on 120 vs 240 volts, unless you get into the major amp users or extreme runs of wire its not a factor.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-07-2018 at 9:10 AM.

I understand your point of view, but I can't fully agree. If this will be well build machine - OK, you will be right. But keep in mind some of them are made on minimal cost and often fast as possible (picture 2). Secondly - some of them use sockets which are wired through machine safety / power switches what can cause effect as on last pic. First picture is a effect of defective up Z axis switch. Maybe if machine will be build better motor for the table will NOT work so hard mechanically and over stressed what cause increased current in this circuit. All pics form Chinese machines - not my own. Repetitive problem for many users with 110V.
    By the way - I checked my machine power consumption about two years ago and you are right - if is working "normally" it does nor take too big current. At idle 90W, internal light +20W, at max power and intense stepper working ~500W. I have no connected additional power items to sockets in my machine, but original "gray exhaust" is 600W (I use different type 60W) and water pump 50W + air assist another 50W. Unfortunately never tested Z-table motor power consumption. Values rounded, have written down somewhere exact numbers. I have 230V in Ireland.

current.jpg
    Red & Black KH-7050 / 80W EFR F2 / "24mm" head with lens 20/mirror 25mm / extended working area 720x510 | Foison vinyl cutter 2FT wide | Was working on Epilog, Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, Graphtec, CNCs, laminators etc.

Well I can say I have owned several imported from China lasers and machine tools. I have never seen the problems or pictures you have posted. I have repaired some poor solder joints and the like but never anything burnt up. Even at your 500 Watt load measured that is 4.7 amps on 120 volts, far from burning up amperage even on #16 AWG wire. Since I have over 50 years in electrical and related fields, and licensed as a master electrician, I hope that keeps me out of trouble.