Brice...Cues break down into two pieces with the joint being at the midpoint. Each section is about 29" plus or minus about 1/2". This is the standard for American cues. It also allows them to fit into a cue case for travel which usually supports up to a 30" max section.

Only 'house cues' are one piece and live only in the pool hall or at home. House cues are also the cheapest cue available and desirable for abuse at a pool hall.

Therefore, my delta lathe can support 29" butt section with plenty of room to spare.

I will only make the butt section (the back end). It will be 29" long and range from 1 1/4" dia at the end to 7/8" dia at the joint to mate with common shafts.

The shaft section (front end) will be purchased from a major cue company in lieu of making one. They are 29" long, 7/8" dia at the joint and 1/2" at the tip. Modern composite materials and spliced construction on a factory made high performance shaft cannot be replicated by a small custom cue maker nor the hobbyist working in his garage. A shaft is what makes a cue perform and define most of the cue’s character. The butt is only decorative but does allow for weight adjustment.

I built a spindle support using roller blade wheels. However, since I'm only making the butt, and the butt is pretty robust in diameter, whipping should not be an issue.

Here’s a CAD drawing of my concept...
Slide1.jpg