Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weirdo Neighbors

Weirdo Neighbors

Y'all ever have small interactions with neighbors that just kinda make you wonder if they're ok in the head? Yesterday, on my way home from work I was flagged down by a big truck. He began to inquire as to whether or not I saw his two dogs running around with their leash still on. I told him I was unsure if it had a leash, but I saw a medium build dog near the entrance that was roaming and asked if it was sort of greyish blue, he not only said yes, but very enthusiastically. I told him I thought it was a good looking dog from what I saw, and told him how fond of Pit Bulls I am, to which he dropped his head and said, "Oh, that's not mine then, I'm looking for my Lab and Aussie". "Oh.. what kinda Lab?" "Yellow."
    ... I just drove off.
    Anyone else got any weird neighbor stories? I have plenty
    "Like a good neighbor, stay over there"
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

The Aussie was probably a blue merle. They are grayish/blue.

You know, I considered that after I drove off. I later saw him with what I assume were the lost dogs, a yellow lab, and a border collie. Whether he has an Aussie as well, I don't know, but I used to breed Aussies on the farm, that was no Aussie. Wasn't greyish blue either but I'm past trying to find the logic.

Shortly after I moved in to my house, my neighbor across the street rang my doorbell and proceeded to scream at me and accuse me of whistling at his dog to try to get it to cross the street. Lots of cursing and veins throbbing.

Funny enough, I've never been able to whistle.

They got divorced shortly after and he moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Shortly after I moved in to my house, my neighbor across the street rang my doorbell and proceeded to scream at me and accuse me of whistling at his dog to try to get it to cross the street. Lots of cursing and veins throbbing.

Funny enough, I've never been able to whistle.

They got divorced shortly after and he moved out.
    Whoa.. talk about a warm welcome!

When I was a kid, my best friend and I both suffered really bad from sleep insomnia(still do, but I'm medicating now) so we would often roam our neighborhood from 11-whenever, sometimes till day break. Anyhow, one night while wandering, this lady was walking and stopped to talk to us. Saying she used to babysit us when our parents were busy and how much we've grown, all while making strange ticks and paranoid twitches. Asked us for cigarettes like 6 times. Asked if we could "hook her up". Few years ago, her house got busted for meth.
    Don't do drugs kids

A woman down the street used to scream at me when I walked my dog, saying I was ruining the neighborhood. I ignored her. Someone else (not me, though it wish it were) put a large pile of dog poop in her driveway and the screaming stopped for a while.
    Then she did it again. I said she was an old bitch, I had never done anything to her; why didn't she leave me alone. She ran to her husband and screamed at him. He suggested that she should leave me alone.
    Quiet for a year, then her little yappy thing ran out and attacked my dog. She ran out in her nightgown, and scooped her dog up, saying he was safe now.
    That's pretty weirdo isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    A woman down the street used to scream at me when I walked my dog, saying I was ruining the neighborhood. I ignored her. Someone else (not me, though it wish it were) put a large pile of dog poop in her driveway and the screaming stopped for a while.
    Then she did it again. I said she was an old bitch, I had never done anything to her; why didn't she leave me alone. She ran to her husband and screamed at him. He suggested that she should leave me alone.
    Quiet for a year, then her little yappy thing ran out and attacked my dog. She ran out in her nightgown, and scooped her dog up, saying he was safe now.
    That's pretty weirdo isn't it?
    You mean you don't scream at random people? That's not normal??

Years ago I was in a shopping center and and a old guy stopped me and said "which was the good one...Dr Jekyll or Mr.
    Hyde". I said "Dr Jekyll". He said "thank you" and went on his way.

I bought 1880's duplex to rehab 35 years ago. It was on a lake in an upscale neighborhood surrounded by expensive restored single family homes. The day I moved in my 70 year old neighbor Ruth walked over to me in my yard. After a normal introduction she said "what's your plan for the property?" I said to slowly restore it as I can afford it. I was 30 at the time and she must have thought I was a young whippersnapper. She said "you can't use it as duplex because it's zoned single family". I politely explained the grandfather laws and that it's been a duplex for 45 years. Ruth clearly stated she wanted to get her way.

A year later I was in court fighting Ruth. I won.

Over the years Ruth did everything she could to make life miserable for me and my tenants. Many of her actions were pitiful and mean, but I did my best to ignore her. Ruth called the city on me so often they must have gotten sick of her too.

She watched me like a hawk. The funniest time was when I was installing blinds on all the windows that faced her house. I was in my house walking around with my tool belt on and heard the doorbell. It was the city inspector. He said "we have a report that your doing work without a permit". I said you caught me installing blinds without a permit! He wanted to come in and inspect because that's what inspectors do. He rolled his eyes, apologized and left.

As Ruth got older she would be civil occasionally, but usually had to follow up with spite. One day me and a buddy were windsurfing from my shoreline. Ruth walked over in a swimsuit and said "I love watching you guys, it's such a beautiful sport". I said thanks. Then she walked out to knee deep water. I sailed away. Then Ruth looked me in the eye and darted into my path in the water as fast as her old body could move. She was yelling "your going to hit me, your trying to hurt me!" I was 25' feet away from her the whole time. Looking back on it maybe she had dementia.

I learned a lot from my experiences with Ruth. Learning to live with others is a fascinating adventure.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 05-02-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Way to be a sport and play along. I never know what to do in that situation, not that it happens to me often

When I was a teen we had a nutty neighbor. Actually we had interesting neighbors all around, and we had a lot of contact because of how the houses were unusually arranged. But anyway, the one crazy neighbor had never really talked to us until she came to ask my dad if they could put in a gate that would open onto our driveway, and use it to get cars in/out of their back yard. (Again, unusual arrangement, we were behind the house closest to the street, with a very long driveway.) My dad said yes IF they put in a proper ramp or protection to keep from breaking up the driveway edge when they drive on/off of it. She flipped out. Started calling him and us names, and screaming about how unreasonable we are. Said that she would call the cops, sue us, she has a right, etc etc.

A few weeks later, there's a gate. Ok. Dad takes some spare concrete blocks and builds a barrier on OUR driveway. Now the lady comes over REALLY going off. My dad tells her to never come back, or he's calling the cops. A few days later some of the blocks are broken off. Dad puts them back, fills them, and for good measure, installs a piece of leftover chain link fence.

My brother still lives in that house and about once a year she goes off on some nutty thing or another. Apparently she has spent time locked up for schizophrenia, but is currently supposedly able to live in society. Her ongoing craziness for a few years has been to leave her trash cans in the street so nobody can park there when they visit my brother.

Wow.. Yea that's a tough one for me. Early on it seems like she was just being salty cause she didn't get her way, but I can't speak on dementia not being a doctor and all. Still wild as all get out though

Geeze man, so much hostility with people. It's crazy how much a sense of entitlement can influence one's actions.

Once years ago when my brother and I raced off road as a team we had arrived back home and went to the pub to watch the race on Speedvision, being racers that could not afford cable. So we are watching and there is a fellow we knew sitting at the bar watching with us, and he asks.........

Is this live?

... and here's your sign