Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weirdo Neighbors

There's a reason we keep moving farther and farther away from civilization because we want nothing to do with crazy people. We've had our run-ins over the years with the insane, but because we keep leaving high population centers for low ones, it isn't that big of a deal.

So yesterday, I walk up to get the mail right, and there was a bunch of it. Like, a BUNCH of mail. After I get back inside I start to sort it and turns out most of it was my neighbors. So, it being illegal to open someone else's mailbox, I decided to walk it over and give it to em. Some things were marked urgent, and there was even a package. So I get to their door right, and as soon as I knock I hear the TV cut out, and someone yells "Go away!". I tried to explain that I was just dropping some mail that was accidentally put in my box and that I'd put it on the porch, to which he replied: "I said go away or I'll call the police!". Guess I'll just drop all their stuff at the foot of their mailbox next time. Rude.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    ...The neighbor apparently ran a drain pipe from her garage out under ground into my pasture....
    In the "old" days it was apparently common to run a separate drain for "grey" water from the sinks to keep it out of the septic systems. When I bought this farm I found two such drain pipes from neighbor's properties. I talked to them and one rerouted the drain to into the septic system and the other decided to put in an entirely new septic system.

It's nice to have good neighbors who watch out for each other. I make a point to take honey and eggs to neighbors.

JKJ

Move to the country they said, where everyone is nice and neighborly, they said.

The lie detector test determined... That was a lie!

Blog Entries
    I have a truck with an expired plate that I'm apparently not allowed to have in my driveway.

So there you go. BS meter to the extreme.

Because of HOA restrictions? That's ridiculous

Back it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Y'all ever have small interactions with neighbors that just kinda make you wonder if they're ok in the head? Yesterday, on my way home from work I was flagged down by a big truck. He began to inquire as to whether or not I saw his two dogs running around with their leash still on. I told him I was unsure if it had a leash, but I saw a medium build dog near the entrance that was roaming and asked if it was sort of greyish blue, he not only said yes, but very enthusiastically. I told him I thought it was a good looking dog from what I saw, and told him how fond of Pit Bulls I am, to which he dropped his head and said, "Oh, that's not mine then, I'm looking for my Lab and Aussie". "Oh.. what kinda Lab?" "Yellow."
    ... I just drove off.
    Anyone else got any weird neighbor stories? I have plenty
    "Like a good neighbor, stay over there"
    To me its a matter of perspective yours vs theirs. Perhaps they see something about you that you have never realized?

California changed the law in the last few years and you are allowed to use grey water to water outside. My washer waters the fruit trees now.
    BILL D

House next door is built inside the zoning minimum setback limit at 4 feet from the property line, except for a chimney that sticks out about 2.5 feet. My lot is fenced. On his side of the fence is a very nice, mature, 7 or 8 foot high privet hedge. His lot on the other side has a nice wide setback from the adjacent lot, about 20 feet. His wife demands a new kitchen, so they get a zoning variance to build within 2 feet of the property line over there. Then he realizes that his lawn service can't get into the back yard any more. Oops!

But that's no problem, he thinks: he decides to use a gate in my fence that accesses his back yard and allow him and his lawn service, etc. to use my driveway to get to his back yard. No discussion with me.

So one fine day, I've got a project in my garage and park blocking access to the gate. A couple of days later, I get a lawyer letter threatening to sue if I obstruct his access to his back yard over my property, claiming a right by adverse possession and/or an easement. I immediately parked my truck blocking the gate and arranged for my lawyer to reply: bring it on, dude! Arranged for my lawyer to attach an aerial view of his place before and after the kitchen addition, showing the paved pathway into his back yard before and the kitchen after.

He may be a weird neighbor, but he isn't stupid. After six weeks of letting my truck sit there, he had his lawyer send a letter of apology with a humble request to negotiate terms for using my driveway and the gate, by appointment, for yard workers. I agreed and allowed an appointment every time they asked until we sold the place in 2009 (just in the nick of time to miss the big crash).
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    House next door is built inside the zoning minimum setback limit at 4 feet from the property line...
    4' setback??? Around here it is 30' in the front, 10' for a rear property line. Maybe we have more space in this part of the country.

When I wanted to to put up a hay storage building I had to level and fill to get 30' back.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Because of HOA restrictions? That's ridiculous
    There's a reason that I'd rather die than live under an HOA. When we were looking for a new house, the #1 rule was no HOAs, period.

As with everything, it's a compromise. I had told myself I'd never live in one, then we found a place that was ideal otherwise. I read through the rules and talked to people about their experiences, and it was very low impact. Meanwhile however our roads and parks are privately maintained by our HOA, and they are *perfect* while the city park nearby is a broken down mess with dead grass. Our streets have been refinished once already in the six years we've been here, while the city road just outside our area is a disaster. The area has super low crime and we can walk/bike right out into the desert 100 yards away. Yeah, so I can't leave my motorhome parked out front for more than one day at a time (to load, then to unload), and can't leave junk out front. And if you do, you get a 14 day warning, so plenty of time to correct things or talk to the HOA. I just needed to leave pallets of material out front for a month, they said no problem and thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    4' setback??? Around here it is 30' in the front, 10' for a rear property line. Maybe we have more space in this part of the country.

When I wanted to to put up a hay storage building I had to level and fill to get 30' back.

JKJ
    Naah! That was the side setback. He was inside the setback area of 6 feet via a zoning variance. If he'd had the six feet of the code, there would have been room for a walk-way, but nooooo!

(Need I say that the guy is a property developer and slum lord in town. Knew how to play the planning commission, but came up short trying to play me.)
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron