Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weirdo Neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    As with everything, it's a compromise. I had told myself I'd never live in one, then we found a place that was ideal otherwise. I read through the rules and talked to people about their experiences, and it was very low impact. Meanwhile however our roads and parks are privately maintained by our HOA, and they are *perfect* while the city park nearby is a broken down mess with dead grass. Our streets have been refinished once already in the six years we've been here, while the city road just outside our area is a disaster. The area has super low crime and we can walk/bike right out into the desert 100 yards away. Yeah, so I can't leave my motorhome parked out front for more than one day at a time (to load, then to unload), and can't leave junk out front. And if you do, you get a 14 day warning, so plenty of time to correct things or talk to the HOA. I just needed to leave pallets of material out front for a month, they said no problem and thanks for asking.
    Nope, HOAs are a complete deal breaker for me. They could be giving houses away and I'd turn it down over an HOA. But here, the city does pretty much everything I could ever want. They paved our street a week after we moved in. In fact, they've paved almost every street in the city in the past 2 years. We get free trash pickup where you can put anything out twice a year and they come by and grab it from you, no matter what it is. It's nice and nobody sticks their nose into your business.

I don’t know, I always felt the same way about Hoa’s.

But the older I get the less patients I have for dealing with others crap. I have neighbors whom nearly could care less how they affect those around them and it just seems to get worse every year. Last night I had a a neighbor out on their deck partying till 1am. Like hooting and hollering at the top of their lungs infants running around screaming crying.

Add to that neighbors whom lean their carpa against my fence on their side. Have massive driveways but still park up on their lawn as they are to a yard to walk the 150ft. Never cut their lawns, let thire yard leaves blow all over every fall. Let their dogs run free, the list goes on and on and on.

And dare you say something, anything you are a hole and they begrudge you and double down.

I’m thinking a Hoa and someone to meditate the riff raff and make sure we are all acting like responsible human beings sounds pretty good.

Or maybe just a house smack in the middle of like 20 acres is what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Nope, HOAs are a complete deal breaker for me. They could be giving houses away and I'd turn it down over an HOA. But here, the city does pretty much everything I could ever want. They paved our street a week after we moved in. In fact, they've paved almost every street in the city in the past 2 years. We get free trash pickup where you can put anything out twice a year and they come by and grab it from you, no matter what it is. It's nice and nobody sticks their nose into your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    ...Or maybe just a house smack in the middle of like 20 acres is what I need.
    Don't do it, you'll miss your lovely neighbors. After 33 years in town we moved out in the sticks.

Our HOA consists of my Lovely Bride and myself but she gets two votes.

We are on 27 acres with woods on 90% of the perimeter, everywhere except the county road frontage and I've been growing green screens there. The shop, barn, and some outbuildings are by the front fields a little closer to the neighbors than the house but I can live with that. An electric gate eliminates product and other salesmen. Security cameras give peace of mind.

satellite_farm_B.jpg farm_house_P6162388e.jpg

I mostly have to listen to the awful owls and crows and my chickens and guineas and peacocks and equines and an occasional buck snort. The view from the house is down the long field with the horses.

P5113621ecs.jpg

It's a terrible life but someone has to live it. Oh well.

Hey, there's a place for sale not far away...

JKJ

John, lucky for you there are door to door salesmen who enjoy parachuting! Sign up on line!

I only have one neighbor I can see, and he is afraid of me. Thinks I'm nuts because of stories from 40 years ago. I'm not going to do anything to change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I only have one neighbor I can see, and he is afraid of me. Thinks I'm nuts because of stories from 40 years ago. I'm not going to do anything to change his mind.
    Ok Larry. You cant leave us hangin like this. What were you like 40 years ago.... ?
    Tell us a story man.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Don't do it, you'll miss your lovely neighbors.
    Too funny. My place is 115 acres in the middle of no where. Closest neighbor is a little under a mile away on the road. Driveway in from the gate to the house is four tenths of a mile. We are on a ridge looks similar to your place. View is about 25-30 miles when the weather cooperates. Property is surrounded on all sides by about 10,000 acres of private and publicly owned land. Needless to say its very quiet. You can usually hear someone coming at least 30 minutes before they are at the door either by vehicle, 4 wheeler, or side-by-side. Someone on horseback or on foot can catch you by surprise.

Its a life that can either make you a reclusive isolationist lol.. or desperate for someone to come through the gate heheh.

We have no HOA and I personally maintain the road down to the hard road (if you could call it that).

Once, nearly 20 years ago when we bought the property, the UPS driver made it all the way to the house and needless to say he was out of his mind pissed off. I had to remind him that I had a UPS calendar in my shop that had a picture of a UPS delivery man delivering a package to an Eskimo lol. All packages are delivered to the business but at the time it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Or maybe just a house smack in the middle of like 20 acres is what I need.
    I lived for many years on 16 acres and my closest neighbor was a mile away and they likely lived on about 10 acres. It was nice, you didn't have to worry about people looking over your fence or getting in your business. Now, I have a 3 acre lot like most other people and people know enough to mind their own business. So long as you do what you're supposed to do, nobody really cares. That's how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Don't do it, you'll miss your lovely neighbors. After 33 years in town we moved out in the sticks.

Our HOA consists of my Lovely Bride and myself but she gets two votes.

We are on 27 acres with woods on 90% of the perimeter, everywhere except the county road frontage and I've been growing green screens there. The shop, barn, and some outbuildings are by the front fields a little closer to the neighbors than the house but I can live with that. An electric gate eliminates product and other salesmen. Security cameras give peace of mind.

I mostly have to listen to the awful owls and crows and my chickens and guineas and peacocks and equines and an occasional buck snort. The view from the house is down the long field with the horses.

P5113621ecs.jpg

It's a terrible life but someone has to live it. Oh well.

Hey, there's a place for sale not far away...

JKJ
    That's a great rainbow picture - a double rainbow with Alexander's dark band between them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's a great rainbow picture - a double rainbow with Alexander's dark band between them.

Mike
    Yes, we have the best rainbows looking to the east from the deck in the evening when weather/rain moves east with clear sky and sun behind, low in the west.

Here's another one. Now I know exactly where to dig for that pot o' gold - under the beehives. Wait, maybe the rainbow is pointing to the honey...

rainbow_sharon_IMG_1535.jpg

This one shows the supernumerary arcs, the reason for the lighter area inside the primary and outside the secondary bows. Imagine an infinite number of arcs, each closer to the previous one as you look towards the center. The OR Lab director at the time, whose hobby and passion and the topic of his favorite technical talk is the science behind rainbows, told me this was the best photo of the arcs he had seen. I did some simple contrast adjustment to the photo to show them better. Google images shows a bunch, some optical simulations.

P5113623ecs.jpg

And please, I expect proper sympathy being regularly forced to suffer indignities such as annoying rising sun displays, usually just when I'm trying to read the comix pages in the morning paper.

farm_sunrise_IMG_4909.jpg

JKJ

I remember going to a lumber and supply company once where the sales people,yard help ,and customers were usually pretty grumpy and surly. A rainbow formed right over the place and changed it to a bunch of happy friendly people for about a half hour.

Notice the color reversal on each rainbow.. Most I have seen was five with the lower two complete. this was in summer Alaska.
    Bil lD

Where I live is being overrun in cheap tract homes, so to mess with the real estate agents, got some ugly pink and purple paint samples and applied it to the siding of my moms old house although the siding was torn off & hauled off to the dump did save that one piece to draw it out more, have told my neighbors next door that have no intention of painting the house those colors, it's going to be gray we all had a laugh, & my neighbors are great BTW.

Those cheap quality homes start at $340K, others $499K.

You could get a weirdo neighbor who runs power tools day and night. loud ones like a routers and a planner with a big howling dust collector. oh wait thats me.
    Bil lD

I used to have a problem with people trespassing in my hay pasture.

While talking with the parents of the worst offender one day they asked me about my backhoe. My response was that "it's a great backhoe. It will dig to 19' but the County's will only dig to 16'. The look on their face was priceless when they figured out the meaning of that statement.

Never had much trespassing problems after the sign went up. .

No Tresspassing sign.jpg