Thread: Brass Machine Plates

Brass Machine Plates

I have been wanting to make brass machine plates that is all the rave on youtube right now. They use acid baths, cnc mills, and a few other techniques. I think I could do the engraving, drill holes and the contour cut on my 30w fiber. I know others have done this, but cant find any in the search. I like how NYCNC did theirs on the laser, but only used a co2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-QAwB8TdI&t=2s

Any advice? Im located in the middle of nowhere so I have to order in materials to try this. Wasnt sure what would be best, aluminum, brass, copper, stainless steel, etc?

I watch Johns stuff also and I found the MMMMk O Meter plate to be pretty cool. I bet you could get some painted brass from JDS, laser the paint off and then acid etch it. I don't have a fiber so I would have to cut it out with sheers and round the corners off.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

I would need to have about $60 for each one of these to justify all the labor cost. I could cut the contour outline on my CNC router, who is the market for these? I really do not think a fiber laser would / could do the cutting unless its a 100 watt or so? I know my 20 watt would not.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-01-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

No 30w fiber is going to cut any metal that thick, and especially not brass- and I'm with Bill, in the time it took them to make 2 plates I'd have banked $600 doing something profitable!

On a lighter note, I have that exact shear they're using (and it's an OLD honker!)

shear2.jpgshear.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    At less than 50 cents each in either plain brass or painted brass for perpetual plates, I can't see using anything like his process. I had guy bring me an aluminum VIN plate to replace his damaged plate the other day. 25 sec on the Fiber.....
    Way too easy. Yep, at least $60 for that one George. And No one but the guy making the plate for his machine cares.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have the Shop Fox 12 inch 3 n 1 machine that I only use for tags and thin brass - aluminum. Its razor sharp and with a proper shop added guide it does a wonderful job.

I have some already coated brass sheet that would be perfect and be 1/2 the cost.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The brass they reference in the video is .015in or .381mm. I picked up a 12x18 sheet of .016in brass at my local hobby store and have been cutting 6 inch name plates for plaques that I make. I also cut my own dog tags out of 304 stainless that's just shy of 1mm. I'm using a 30w fiber. Through a progressive cutting strategy with wobble and cleaning passes I can cut that brass and stainless in a matter of minutes. Sure there are other methods of doing this but it does work, imho, and with great precision. Flowing the powder coating looks like and interesting add on.

Thanks, Ive been playing with cutting other materials. I just dont have brass to test with. I figured more people have tried it out. Ill get some ordered first chance i get!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hale View Post
    Thanks, Ive been playing with cutting other materials. I just dont have brass to test with. I figured more people have tried it out. Ill get some ordered first chance i get!
    If you just need material to play with, check your local hardware store for brass stock. I’m in the Pacific Northwest and our Ace Hardware carries that material.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

We have a really small hardware store. But ill check!