Thread: Temporary Shop Ideas Needed (Central Ohio)

Temporary Shop Ideas Needed (Central Ohio)

This June my immediate family will be moving from near Washington D.C. back to my hometown of Columbus Ohio. We will be staying with family while we are building a new home. The builder has been gracious enough to allow me to do the install of all of the wood flooring, cabinetry, and interior trim.

Unfortunately, while living with family there will not be space to set up my shop equipment. Once drywall is done, near September, I can move my equipment into the garage to have on hand while finishing out the house. However, it would be helpful to be able to set up a select few tools during the summer months to get a head start on some of the architectural elements, maybe build some forms for some concrete counter tops, knock out a vanity or two, etc.

I’ve been pointed towards storage units, but I’ve never seen any that would have 220 service for my cabinet saw and/planer. Besides, I seriously doubt storage facilities would allow such work even if I was only running 110. The facilities set up for commercial businesses to operate out of might be more accepting of running shop equipment but they all want long(er) term leases.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on finding temporary space to set up a shop? I’m sure there are other Creekers involved in the construction of a house that have had to find creative solutions to getting access to a shop (your own machines or someone else’s) while between more permanent shops.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Moderator, I apologise if this belongs in a different forum, please move to the most/more suitable location. Thank you.

Could you put a shipping container on the site of your new house? I know plenty of people use use them for a temporary shop.

Most of us carpenters have a trailer set up as a portable shop. Mine isn't very sophisticated, but some are with great lighting, lots of power options and even HVAC. When done with the trailer, just sell it. Lots of dying downtown areas out there, most have decent commercial spaces, maybe some of them available for short term.

A portable generator (running outside) could be a source for 240v power for your saw and planer and allow you to use them "wherever".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Could you put a shipping container on the site of your new house? I know plenty of people use use them for a temporary shop.
    I have a 8x40' shipping container that would make a usable shop, even more useful if double doors were added to the side about 1/2 way down. You can easily sell it when no longer needed. The power company will run a temporary drop for construction use so if placed close enough it could provide power.

A shipping container has 8' ceilings. Even better for a shop might be a semi trailer. I have one 45' long with 9' ceiling - the wheels are removed so it is similar to the shipping container. Both of these have floors strong enough for fork lifts so they will easily support power tools. Cheaper than a shipping container too. If you can stand the first step, you can buy or rent a trailer with wheels and have it delivered then hauled off when done for cheaper than hiring a rollback to move it.

I level a spot, spread gravel, then lay a few 6x6 or 4x4 PT posts on the gravel for support.

semi_trailer.jpg

Both of these are aluminum so they won't rust. If using steel, be sure to keep the leaves cleaned off the top.

JKJ